Yoga takes its pose at Paly

A buzz floats in the air of the ERC, as students and faculty await the instructor’s arrival. Pupils have cast off their school-clothes in favor of loose-fitting sweat pants and t-shirts. Spongy, bright purple mats litter the brown carpet floor. Junior Rachel Freier-Miller warms her muscles up with some basic stretches. Habit ensues as Rachel automatically regulates her breathing, calms, and empties her mind in preparation for the yoga class.

Freier-Miller is one of many students who have discovered the ancient art of yoga in the Thursday after-school Paly class, open free to all students and faculty.

"The peaceful postures and regulated breathing patterns of yoga help reduce stress, as well as act as a form of exercise," said Freier-Miller.

This Paly class is only a small part in the nation-wide boom in yoga practitioners over the past decade. According to the International Association of Yoga Therapists, in 2002 the number of American yoga practitioners reached 20 million, while in 1994 there were only 6 million.

Yoga has even traveled so far to be a medical solution. According to Larry Payne, the founding president of the International Association of Yoga Therapists, some doctors even prescribe yoga as a form of treatment to their patients. As maintained by recent studies at Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM) centers, places where doctors study alternative medicine; yoga can ease the pain of carpal tunnel syndrome, lower blood pressure, decrease abnormal anxiety levels, and aide patients in rehabilitation with coronary artery disease, among countless other diseases.

According to Paly yoga instructor and classroom aide Kamal Vilms, yoga is a growing trend and is now "fashionable in California, it [attracts people because] it has [physical] vigor and at the same time relaxation. It alters your mind into a different state of being."

The yoga class at Paly originally derived from Larkin Elderon, one of student activities director Joann Vaars’ students. He suggested last year that a student yoga class would be a nice way to reduce stress. Vaars was attracted to the idea, however, she ran into the problem of hiring a teacher, which would cost the school money.

When Vaars spoke to the staff on the issue of hiring a teacher, English teacher Trinity Klein spoke up. "I offered to teach it [the class] to save the school money," Klein said.

Soon, the yoga class on Thursdays became a weekly fixture at Paly. However, Klein also had class to run and department meetings to attend, so she could not teach every week. Vaars suggested that when Klein could not attend the sessions, Vilms could sub for her.

"Ms. Vilms and I ran into each other at Yoga classes at Yoga Source and chatted," Klein said. "She was also interested in starting a class just for staff [and students]."

It was not until this year though, that the class became less varying in size. Although there were about eleven attendees last year, they came less often according to Vilms. The small class, however, according to Vilms, is not bad; it creates a more intimate environment. Not only were the students’ appearances irregular, but also Vilms subbed for Klein about every four to six weeks.

This year however, Klein was unable to switch off teaching with Vilms, as she was on maternity leave. Even though Klein was not teaching at Paly for the first semester, she continued to practice yoga herself.

"I took prenatal yoga until I had my baby, and now I attend a Mommy & Baby yoga class," Klein said, "Yoga is a great way to exercise while connecting with your own mind…it’s very centering. Truth be told– I don’t know if I could have made it through 12 hours of natural [unmedicated] childbirth without my yoga discipline. I used yogic-breathing techniques, and found the ability to focus and concentrate."

Klein’s experience during her childbirth is not uncommon among yoga practitioners. According to the A-B-C-of-Yoga Web site, yoga started at least 5,000 years ago in India, and was used to calm the mind in a state of extreme pain, as well as "divine revelation," to keep order and reflection in the people’s daily life. Historians discovered sketches and passages about yoga in the texts called the Vedas, which are considered the oldest scriptures in the world. According to the texts, yoga started out as a community activity, in an attempt to understand the supernatural. Later yoga developed into the more individual experience that is used today.

The enfolding calm and discipline of yoga is originally what drew Vilms. Vilms has been doing yoga for 25 years, and said she plans to continue practicing. "There are few forms of movement that involve [both] the mental and physical states."

Klein remarked that the nature of yoga makes it a ‘practice’ that is constantly evolving. "No two practitioners are alike, and no two days are the same for any person," Klein said. " It [yoga] allows me to really focus my mind and body."

This relaxation that yoga creates, according to Vilms, is perfect for Paly students because it isn’t competitive. Unlike other after-school activities, it just lets the students unwind after the stress of school without worrying about beating someone. Vilms’ students readily agree with her.

"Yoga’s so relaxing that it’s a welcome break after school," freshman and Yoga class attendee Hilary Rollins, said.

Freshman Kelsey Liu said, "I’ve been doing Yoga since 5 grade…and I think I’ll continue to do it for life."

Students are not the only ones at Paly attending the Yoga class. "It’s only my third session, but I already enjoy the flexibility of it, and the ability I have to concentrate," head custodian Hok Ky said.

The class is flexible in that it can accommodate both beginners and advanced students. For those students and faculty with an interest, the meetings are on Thursdays at 2:30 p.m.