Pops concert swings to Paly

The Paly "Pops Concert and Swing Dance" is set to jive, boogie, and jitterbug, starting at 7 p.m. Friday in the Big Gym.

Back again as a Paly tradition of over five years, the concert includes live music, dinner, and dancing, and each of Paly’s four music groups, including concert band, string orchestra, symphonic band, and jazz ensemble, will be playing throughout the evening event.

According to several band members, the groups have been learning new music for the past month in preparation for the concert. Symphonic band, string orchestra, and concert band will each play three pieces, while the jazz band will play music for the attendees to dance to.

“Jazz band plays the most because they’re the live music for the swing dancing part,” said junior Ruyan Rahnama, a violinist in the string orchestra.

The event, which should last about two to three hours, will include pieces by Gershwin and music from the film Rocky, as well as songs such as "In the Mood," "Chattanooga Choo-Choo," and "Bali High."

“There are a lot more jazz pieces,” Rahnama said. “After all, it’s called the ‘Pops Concert’ because all the music groups are playing more popular music.”

The event goes beyond music, though.

“There will be swing dancing and a pizza dinner too,” said junior Ben Beitler, who plays the flute in symphonic band.

In addition, besides simply providing a night of entertainment for attendees, the event will raise money to help fund the music program.

“[The event] helps support Paly’s bands, because they’re really under-funded,” said sophomore Astasia Myers, who plays the trumpet in both the symphonic and jazz bands. “A lot of people participate in the music program. The funds will probably go to buy more instruments and help pay for the assistant teacher we sometimes have.”

For those who are shy about breaking out dance moves, have no fear.

“There’s an instructor at the concert who teaches us how to swing dance,” Rahnama said. “So you don’t need to know how to dance because you can catch on pretty fast.”

“They work you through all the dances and they go over them a lot,” Myers said.

Most band members expressed that the best way to ensure the success of the event is if a lot of people attend.

“Honestly, it can be really fun” said junior Ran Schwartz, who plays tuba in symphonic band. “It all depends on how many people come. [The event] has a lot of potential if a lot of people go.”

Based on the "Pops Concert" events from past years, most band members seem to agree that students account for the majority of the attendance.

“There’s definitely a lot of students there, especially with all the band members present,” Rahnama said. “But the parents bust out with the swing dancing too. Over all, it’s a good mix.”

Tickets for the concert can be purchased from any band member or at the door at $5 for students or $8 for a general ticket.