International Festival to leave a lasting impression

Every other year Palo Alto High School holds one of the most fun and memorable student activities, the International Festival. However, this year things are going to be different. The student government and staff decided to turn a solitary day dedicated to familiarizing students with international awareness into an entire month. The festival will commence on Tuesday, March 1st with lunchtime activities on the 8th and the 22nd.

"The opening ceremony is going to have some amazing speakers and tons of student performers," commented Anique Drumright, a member of the fundraising group. "It will have lots of energy and we want it to create a fun and up-beat atmosphere for the rest of the month."

The opening ceremony will take place after fourth period on the 1st of March. Students will be escorted by their fourth period teachers to the assembly. It will feature the traditional flag ceremony, a guest speaker, and performers such as the hula dancers and the Taiko drummers.

On Tuesday, March 8th teachers will have the option to have a guest speaker come into their second period classes. The festival will progress during an extended lunch, which will include food and entertainment from around the world.

" Lunchtime activities will be a success with student involvement; the entertainment will be great and we urge students to stay on campus and take part in the activities offered," said Drumright.

Similarly on March 22nd teachers will have another opportunity to have guest speakers, and lunchtime activities on that day will also provide foods and entertainment representing a variety of cultures.

Many are wondering why this one-day event has turned into a month. This is mainly due to funding, according to Mary Ellen Bena, a parent chaperone to the opening ceremony. Nonetheless, because of the fact that this ceremony now will span several weeks, more opportunities for student involvement are present.

"Student government has lots of members, some of which don’t always have an opportunity to take part in big school activities like the International Festival. This year almost everyone has an assigned job," reported Alex Snell, chair member for the lunchtime activities.

Despite lack of funding, this year’s month-long international celebration looks to be a success due to the highly anticipated amount of student, parent and teacher involvement.