Staff Blog

We invite you to read and respond to The Paly Voice‘s ongoing staff blog, where we talk informally about the Voice, campus life, and other things on our minds. Enjoy — and click on the feedback link on the bottom if you want to participate by adding your own comment.

Angry cheerleaders oppose inaccurate feedback (Dec. 10, 2005)

In a recent edition of the Campanile there was an article "Cheerleading deserves funding and facilities," that discussed Palo Alto High School Cheerleading and its lack of facilities and funding. As two members of the cheerleading squad we were upset by some of the negative feedback that we received. The most recent feedback was from an anonymous source located in Palo Alto, CA. She claimed that she had been to our practices and witnessed our lack of efficiency and accomplishment there. First of all, our practices are considered ‘closed’ practices as no one except cheerleaders and coaches are allowed to be present. We do not even practice at Paly, we practice in Sunnyvale, that’s a long way to come just to critique us.

This one lady insists that everyone has negative feedback about us. We work hard to attend every football game, and most football players appreciate our support. At games we make an effort to do cheers the fans want to hear.

Our practices have been extremely productive since our move to Sunnyvale, we have learned many new stunts, three or four girls have learned to do back handsprings, and we have perfected jumps and routines. Practices end two hours after the last person arrives at the gym in Sunnyvale, and due to traffic practices often go late, but it is in no one because of tom foolery at practice. We are completely offended by the patronizing tone of the feedback, which makes it sound as if we are in kindergarten.

Football players, basketball players, volleyball players and other Paly sports teams have consequences for players who are late to practice because they have the convenience of practicing at Paly; we, however have to haul to Sunnyvale, which takes about twenty minutes and causes us to sometimes be a little late. We also have to pay for those facilities, pay for our own gas and arrange our own transportation. The football players are the ones who complain if cheerleaders are not present at an away game, and that is why we made the effort to attend every single home and away game this football season. Maybe one or two football players have negative things to say about cheerleaders, but that is a minority opinion.

We have plenty of leadership on our team. I, Kristie am the team captain and know that I am a leader at practice in many ways, and I, Eleanor teach dances and take control of situations. Rather then having one "dictator" we prefer to work together to have many balancing powers; this seem to work well.

This feedback is rude and unnecessary. Paly cheerleaders do work hard. We condition. We do stunts. And we do deserve the respect that every other sport receives.

-Kristie Flatley and Eleanor Byler

Flood fears (Dec. 9, 2005)

With less than fond memories of last year’s crate-hopping to avoid the massive puddles; I can’t help being concerned as this year’s rainy season approaches.

Flooding has already begun in the lower parts of campus around the old art building on the side that faces the quad. Safety is an important part of the school’s mission and I believe that last year’s haphazardly constructed maze of crates linking dry walkways together is inconsistent with the administration’s goals for safety. Some classrooms were only accessible by one platform, which caused a backup during passing periods. This deficiency of safe routes through the halls led to reckless behavior on the unstable crates in order to avoid tardiness.

This year, I hope that the administration will find an alternate solution, because this is a problem that needs to be solved. Perhaps the administration will reevaluate the current drainage system before it becomes as perilous as it was last year.

-Miriam Yelton

MySpace? More like Badspace (Nov. 30, 2005)

MySpace, a community website, has become a world of its own filled with kids, teenagers and adults. Two years ago, the founder of MySpace, Tom Anderson, probably had no idea the site would become such a big hit. Many students have their own MySpace, filled with personal pictures and creative designs, but I don’t see what the big deal is. In the past, everybody at camp, for example, asked everyone’s brother’s brother or sister for his or her AOL Instant Messenger screen name. Now at the end of camp, people ask, “Do you have a MySpace?” In my opinion, MySpace is overrated and a waste of time.

Why would you want to spend hours on end perfecting a personal website when you could be doing something productive with your time, like homework or watching TV? You can only chat with one person at a time and the site isn’t even very interactive. MySpace is only a big bulletin board about you and what you like. The MySpace fad probably started because someone popular decided to make one, then everyone else thought it was cool, then, BAM! Everyone got one.

I think people feel that if they have a MySpace it means they are “cool” and “in”. But, I’ll let you in on a secret; you aren’t, so just give up and go home.

P.S. My MySpace is at www.myspace.com/hitman868.

-Matthew Nguyen

Voice Athletics (we’re not talking about baseball) (Nov. 21, 2005)

At The Paly Voice, we have a tradition of obscure athletic competitions. For the past two years, pen tossing has been the most popular game. It involves about four dry erase pens and at least three competitors. The players stand on the opposite side of the room from the white board, and try to land the pens on the bottom of the board. Each player throws three times, and gets a point for every pen that they land on the board. In the event of a tie, there will be a sudden death round. Last week, Adam and I had an intense game where we were tied, 0-0, for 10 rounds. Adam ended up winning with a lucky bounce.

Today, Helen and I created our own racing game. We used my watch, and timed each other to see who could run around the computer lab the fastest. Helen crashed into two chairs in the first few seconds, giving her a slow time of 12.48 seconds. I went second, and the pressure was on not to get beaten by a girl. I sprinted around, but Eric tripped me up at the end. I still won with a time of 11.37 seconds and was declared champion of sprinting. Then, everyone wanted to play. Eleanor got a time of 8.32 seconds, which killed my time, but she didn’t have to run around other people, and she has really long legs. This is cheating in my book of rules on Voice Athletics.

For The Paly Voice, I am Alex Ochowicz, and that’s the way sports go here.

-Alex Ochowicz

Previous staff blogs can be found at the following addresses:

http://voice.paly.net/view_story.php?id=3277

http://voice.paly.net/view_story.php?id=3106

http://voice.paly.net/view_story.php?id=2989

http://voice.paly.net/view_story.php?id=2520

http://voice.paly.net/view_story.php?id=2204