Knitting trend rolls into Paly

The methodic clicking of knitting needles resounds throughout the classroom, while the ball of variegated blue and gray yarn shrinks. Almost feverishly, the piece lengthens, its simple pattern of garter stitch giving it texture. Sophomore knitter Sereena Ojakian works effortlessly on the handle of her soon-to-be messenger bag. All she has to do is sew the seams when she is done.

Knitting is no longer just for grannies or for machines that create mass-produced clothes; according to David Xenakis, the XRX Knitter’s Magazine managing editor and mastermind behind the all-weekend knitting convention, "Stitches," there were 1,200 registered participants plus 1,000 online ticket sales for the market this year, almost twice as many knitters than last year in attendance. In order to cope with the numbers, Xenakis had to make a change in venue for the convention from the Oakland Convention Center to the larger Santa Clara Convention Center and Westin Hotel.

Now even students at Paly are starting in on the trend, and some even bring their knitting into the classroom.

"I started [knitting] about four years ago, but I really didn’t get into it until now," sophomore Elizabeth Horen said.

Horen said she knows of at least five or six people who knit during class, and at least twenty that knit regularly. In her math class alone, four students admitted their own joy in this textile art.

"I love the artistic outcome, and while you are knitting, it’s therapeutic," sophomore Sereena Ojakian said.

"Knitting is like watching a cooking show," knitter sophomore Vanessa Pan said, referring to seeing people knit during class. "It goes in the oven, and then when the timer is done, it comes out gorgeous." Although Pan does not indulge herself by knitting in class, she is an avid knitter. "I learned when I was eight years old, using two pencils and extra yarn from the lady sitting next to me on an airplane."

Even teachers admitted to being partial to this textile art as well, as long as it doesn’t prove a distraction in class.

Geometry teacher Natalie Simison said even though she doesn’t knit, "I think that knitting is great, especially when my sister knits for me; but, students should only knit during class if it’s at an appropriate time. I think that as long as they are listening, it’s fine."

German teacher Carina Frazer, also an avid knitter, even remarked that she would like to begin a knitting club at Paly. She explained, "I enjoy creating something with my hands; it’s just so satisfying to be able to finish a project."

Even in Hollywood, stars like Sandra Bullock, Kirsten Dunst, Russel Crow, and Samuel L. Jackson are taking up the trend, according to Silver City Sun-News in an article published January 22, 2005. Several popular teen magazines have coined the term "KIP," or "knitting in public," and have even published several tutorials on the art of knitting.

Stores are now selling products like the "Easy Knitting Pattern-A-Day" calendar compiled by Accord Calendars, and Vogue has recently created Knitting 1.1, a new magazine for teens. For the traveling knitter, the Knitter’s Magazine every year creates a guide to knitting stores throughout the United States.

The closest knitting supply stores to Palo Alto are The Knitter’s Studio in Menlo Park, and Uncommon Threads in Los Altos. Both shops’ storeowners and employees are extremely helpful and friendly to customers. For the knitter with a more conservative budget, Uncommon Threads would be a better bet, due to slightly better buys.

Both stores’ staff admitted to noticing a large increase in knitters, both teenage and adult, in the past few years.

Uncommon Threads storeowner Louise Spangeler, said that "the rise in knitting started just after Sept. 11; everyone wanted to stay at home and create things, either for their families or the army …Then a year ago manufacturing companies put out some fabulous scarf yarn, which drew the attention of teens. Scarves are popular because you can make them in one day, and they are instant gratification."

Uncommon Threads also offers its fair share of classes, including Beginning Knitting, a scarf class, Knock Your Socks Off, Baby Booties, Gloves Or Mittens, The Fair Isle Tradition, Finishing Workshop, Brush-Up class, and project classes on certain techniques. Not only does Uncommon Threads offer classes, but also it hosts Knitting Guild meetings, and an Open Knit Night on Wednesdays. For more information regarding Uncommon Threads’ classes, visit http://www.uncommonthreadsyarns.com.

The Knitter’s Studio employees remarked mostly on the rise in number of teen customers to the store in the past year. Although enthusiastic about the increase, they admitted to being a little put off by the easy projects.

"Teenage knitters are great if we could wean them off of leg warmers," Knitter’s Studio employee Arlette Thibodeau said. "They are fun and enthusiastic."

"It’s great that more [pre-teens and teens] are knitting… it’s a good use of their time while they watch TV," said Lauren Hannigan, another Knitter’s Studio employee, and a fourth grade teacher at Fair Meadow. "I love [knitting myself] because it caters nicely to my ADD."

The Knitter’s Studio also offers several classes for advanced and beginner knitters, including: Learn to Knit, Deciphering a Knitting Pattern, Beginner Projects – Moving past Scarves, Baby Hat, Shawl Wrap, and Independent Projects. For more information regarding the Knitter’s Studio, visit http://www.knittersstudio.com.

"The repetitive motion of knitting is like therapy or meditation," Knitter’s Studio employee Elizabeth Povlich said. "While it’s relaxing, it exercises the right side of your brain."

For the more finicky and determined knitter, one could travel out to Saratoga’s The Knitting Arts, Santa Cruz’s The Golden Fleece, and Half Moon Bay’s, Fengari, among many others.

Even department stores like Target, Wal-Mart, and Walgreen’s are starting to sell more varieties of yarn. Although the quality of the yarn is less than that of a yarn store, it is still fun to knit with. Eddie’s Quilting Bee now also sells yarn to keep up with the recent boom in knitters.

A prospective knitter shouldn’t forget about the classic yarn, though, spun from wool. Although most non-knitters don’t know it, ‘wool’ is just a category. There are millions of different kinds, ranging from Shetland to Merino, each with a different feel. "I like to go for Rayons, real wool, or cotton," Frazer said "I don’t like artificial stuff."

For knitters with more expensive taste, cashmere is a pleasure to knit with. "I found this beautiful cashmere with opalescent sequins in it, in Pennsylvania," Yelton said. "But it was unfortunately $35." Amazingly enough, this price for a skein of cashmere is reasonable, most ranging up to $300. While cashmere is one of the more expensive yarns, there are thousands of others that are equally pliable and fun to work with for less money.

"I love anything that’s really soft…I’m a soft freak," Horen said. For those knitters who feel the same way as Horen, acrylic-based yarns are best. Brands such as Gedifra, or Fizz, are exceptionally soft, but are mostly synthetic with a wool blend.

Among the more unusual yarns is a yarn made entirely out of bamboo fibers. Another yarn is crafted from the by-products of tofu manufacturing, and is called soy silk.

"Knitting is beautiful, it’s a form of art," adult knitter Terese Brennen-Marquez said. "It nurtures creativity."