Choir in love with ticket sales for Valentine's Concert

Tickets are selling fast for the Paly Choir’s Valentine’s Concert.

In its second year, the annual Valentine’s Concert will be held at 7:30 p.m. on Feb 11th at the First Congregational Church of Palo Alto, and will feature pieces sung by over 70 students in Paly’s choir program. Choir members have been selling tickets for the Valentine’s Concert since the end of January, and have attracted a large audience for the performance.

"This is great. We’re almost sold out," said Michael Najar, Paly’s choir instructor. "There’ll be 50 tickets left at the door though."

Choir members are pleased to see that both their families and other students purchased tickets in advance.

"The audience will be pretty split between families and students," Najar said.

Posters are up around campus promoting the event and the choir has been featured in an In Focus segment.

"We’re very happy about the great advertising done by students," Najar said.

"People should attend because they should support their friends in the Paly Choir and because it’s a great event with singing, music, food, and skits," said junior Kenzie Lee, a choir member.

"I think it will appeal to everyone. It’s so different from other concerts because it’s just a more laid back atmosphere," said junior choir member Danya Taymore. "This concert is especially fun for those people who don’t really like classic choral music because there’ll be a lot of modern music and solos."

The program, which should last about an hour and a half, will include solos, such as ‘Fly Me to the Moon’ which will be sung by junior Mary Hewlett, and duets, such as ‘Come What May’ from Moulin Rouge performed by Lee and senior Ali Apple. The Viking Men’s Chorus will perform Billy Joel’s ‘For the Longest Time’, the Madrigals will perform ‘Fever’, and Spectrum singers will perform ‘Sweet Dreams’. The whole choir will also sing ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’ as well as various love songs.

"It’s a pretty fun set," Taymore said.

Besides providing a night of choral entertainment for audiences, the Valentine’s Concert serves as a fundraiser for the Paly Choir program.

"The funds will go to yearly choral expenses as well as more major chorus concerts in the future," Najar said.

"Choir uses the funds raised from the concerts to purchase stuff like choir dresses and tuxedos," Lee said. "Also, some [of the proceeds] will probably go to benefit the biannual summer choir trip."

Choir members, who have been preparing since the end of winter break for the Valentine’s Concert, will have a final run-through before Friday’s performance to make sure that the concert goes smoothly.

"It’s a really great concert," Lee said. "Everyone should come and bring their friends."

Tickets for the performance are $5 for students and $10 for adults and can be purchased from choir members or at the door. In the spirit of Valentine’s Day, there is also a special price of $7.50 for any student couple.

There are seven Paly Choir performances throughout the year. In case you miss the Valentine’s Concert, the next major performance is scheduled for May 22 and will feature a professional orchestra.