Adrian Bellomo absent for first Monday Meeting

ASB vice president Anique Drumright stepped in for president Adrian Bellomo, who was out sick for the first Student Council meeting of the semester on Monday. This week’s meeting discussed pressing issues such as the International Festival, PAPD parking control, and the Social Norms survey that will be given to all English classes during block days this week.

Junior Faraz Jaffer orchestrated his first meeting as secretary, taking roll to account for the fourth period class representatives that were supposed to attend the meeting.

"We’re trying to get the reps reorganized," Jaffer said. "Within a couple of weeks we’re going to follow up with teachers and hopefully get 100 percent attendance."

This meeting’s class representative attendance was pretty low, though there were a number of dedicated students taking notes on the discussion topics. Among them was former ASB president senior Charles Vickery who was representing Debbie Whitson’s Economics class.

"It’s great that I still get to be a part of this," Vickery said. "I like to stay involved."

A majority of the meeting was spent talking about plans for the International Festival coming in March. A list will be out on the quad tomorrow at lunch for students to sign up to represent their countries’ flags in the Opening Ceremony. Auditions for entertainers for the Talent Show and extended lunchtime performances will be held Wednesday and Thursday at lunch in the theater.

The focus of International Festival fundraising activities, which include class penny wars, a car wash, and a BBQ on the Quad, is to raise money for Global Fund for Children, an organization that provides for children in third world countries who suffer from AIDS related tragedies. The money raised will go towards building a school for orphans in Africa.

A class meeting for seniors will be held in the SSRC on Thursday to discuss possible Baccalaureate speakers.

School Board Representative Angelina Bena reported that Palo Alto Police Department officers will ticket cars without parking permits beginning Monday, February 14. Students will have to process contested tickets through the Palo Alto Police Department, instead of the Paly Office.

The "Most of Us" survey administered last spring will again be given to all but 80 students this week via the internet. The survey collects and collates students’ attitudes and beliefs on drugs and alcohol use.