Making a name for himself, Adam Wandell

With beads of sweat rolling off his forehead and palms, Adam Wandell struggles to retain focused and keep control of the ball.
Though this is mearly a practice, Wandell never lets down his guard while playing basketball. Wandell, a sophomore at Paly, is in the midst of his second season on Paly’s JV basketball team. After completing a great 2003-2004 season with a scoring average of about 15 points per game, Wandell hopes to exceed last year’s success as the resident point guard. As resident point guard, "Wandell must constantly be practicing and not only challenging himself physically but mentally as well," JV basketball coach Dave Jefferson said.

This season, along with Jefferson, Wandell’s fellow teammates and friends have extremely high hopes for Wandell. According to Jefferson, teammates look up Wandell as a leader. Wandell said he has two main goals for this season "to win and to have an awesome time doing it".

Wandell said his favorite part of playing basketball is the adrenaline rush he gets when he runs out onto the court, fueled by all of the team spirit. Jefferson believes Wandell has one of the strongest influences on his team, not only because he is a sophomore, but because of his leadership ability. Wandell’s strengths include teaching the younger players how to win and be part of a cohesive team. "Win or lose, Wandell is always there to encourage his teammates to keep their heads up and keep trying," Jefferson said.

Wandell loved his first season on the JV team at Paly. "My first season was absolutely great. I got so much experience playing basketball with a team, and I got a chance to play with all of the older guys and they all really taught me what high school basketball is all about. I like the fact that now I can try and help the younger players just as I was helped."

"He [Wandell] motivates me," sophomore forward and teammate Nick Goodspeed said. "If I mess up he will try and help me correct my mistakes and he always is willing to help me."

"Adam is really a team player and always has the best interest of the team in mind," Jefferson said.

Wandell has several things to concentrate on this season; bringing his teammates together, assuming the role point guard, and conditioning for competitions, both mentally and physically.

Wandell loves playing point guard. "I feel challenged that everyone depends on me." Wandell said. "The choices I make effect the entire team not just me. It’s a lot of pressure but I like knowing I am able to make decisions."

Jefferson said, "Adam is a good shooter, has excellent dribbling skills, and is very quick."

"Wandell is able to keep control of the ball and make sure it gets delivered to the place it needs to go," Goodspeed said.

To maintain his skill level, Wandell practices with the JV team six days a week for about 3-4 hours a practice. He also takes time alone to lift weights and do simple leg exercises to help develop vital muscles.

This is Wandell’s tenth year of playing basketball. In true father-son tradition, his dad passed down his own love for basketball to Wandell, first through basic shooting, then more complex scrimmages. Since childhood, basketball has been a part of Wandells’s every day life. Before he came to Paly, Wandell played in the N.J.B. basketball league for five years and then played for his middle school, Hillview Middle School before transfering into the Palo Alto Unified School DIstrict.

Wandell need to prepares himself for games by making sure he knows team plays. He also says this practice calms him down so he can control the game. Wandell has a few pregame superstitions. For instance, before a game Wandell likes to make sure he washes his hands, making sure they are clean to easily handle the ball. He also said he listens to his iPOD to get pumped up.

In the beginning of the year, Wandell practiced with the varsity boys team, which gave him more confidence and comfort with high school basketball. Already this self-assurance has helped Wandell lead the J.V. team to several victories.

Wandell is confident that the JV team will continue with a winning season. Especially on Paly’s traditional quad night against rival High School, Gunn, coming up. Wandell expects his team to shine. Wandell says
he’s nervous yet very excited for the upcoming event.

"Adam has so much potential in his game, I am very excited to see how he grows as a player over the course of his career," Jefferson said.