Adrian Bellomo wins ASB elections, Charles Vickery steps down

The results from ballots collected last week to elect new ASB officers are in: senior Adrian Bellomo will be president, junior Anique Drumright will be vice president, and junior Faraz Jaffer will be secretary.
Bellomo will take over for first semester president, senior Charles Vickery, who presided over his last student council meeting Monday. Vickery decided against running for reelection due to scheduling reasons but plans to continue his active participation in student activities second semester.

Bellomo, who had previous ASB experience as secretary, said that he will continue to spread the apparent spirit of ASB unity that Vickery established during his semester term as president.

“I plan to keep up Charles’ goal of building a community,” Bellomo said, “and have a great second semester.”

As ASB president, Vickery revised the student council Mission Statement, met with the school board to lessen the severity of the healthy food policy, and began the initial stages of planning for the new amphitheater. Activities Vickery has planned for next semester include a car show, BBQ on the quad, prom, and the International Festival.

“I tried to build a stronger community,” Vickory said of his goals as president. “I think this year I have done that.”

The responsibilities of the Student Body President include writing agendas for meetings, collaborating with Student Activities Director Joann Vaars on articles for the Paly Reporter, setting up for school dances, and reporting to the PTSA executive board on student-related issues.

“Everything [Charles] did– from the Family Dinner at the beginning of the year, to Spirit Week, to revising the Mission Statement, was all centered around his goal [of building a community],” Vaars said. “I think he did a wonderful job.”

Vickery has an extensive history in Paly student government and a wide range of accomplishments. As class president in his sophomore and junior years, he lead his class in placing second in Spirit Week, through float building and exceptional class cheers.

“I see leadership as an issue where inspiring kids is my main goal, and then letting them free…to be creative in problem-solving and planning,” Vickery said.

Vickery was known as an effective leader who understood the importance of sharing his power. He made sure that everyone, including those outside of student council, had a chance to contribute.

“I want kids to feel like they themselves have a certain amount of power to make things happen,” Vickery said.

As a senior, Vickery’s service in Paly student government is finished, but he plans to continue his involvement in school politics next year in college. He values the experience he gained at Paly.

“I learned a lot about accepting peoples differences,” Vickery said. “My advice to future [ASB leaders] is, always stay true to yourself. When you’re in a leadership position, it’s easy to feel cocky. Don’t get too hot headed, and try to build good relationships with other members.”

As for the rest of the year, Charles expects to continue attending Monday meetings and helping plan events.

“I hope that I can still stay involved, I really will miss it."

The first student council meeting with the new officers will be held at lunch on Monday, February 7, and as usual all are welcome to attend.