The Classics

What do you think of when you hear the names Bach, Mozart, Beethoven and Chopin? To the average high school student these are the names are those of Classical musicians, also known as, completely boring.

Well, just the other night as I was scanning my iTunes downloads I came across Beethoven’s Symphony no. 5. I clicked on it to see if there was any point in keeping it, and when I heard the music I realized this music in actuality is ten times better than the pop and rap that has been eating away my brain both in and out of school.

This intrigued me a little and I started my own experiment of swapping my usual Usher CD for a classical mix including; Beethoven’s “Moonlight Sonata”, Pachelbel’s “Canon In D,” and Bach’s “Air In C.”

It didn’t take me long to realize that while listening to classical music the environment I do my homework in is much more peaceful. I actually have begun to listen to this classical mix on the way to school and it eliminates that tiny bit of road rage I have every morning.

When I got to school and told my best friend of this new enlightenment I had she laughed and told me that classical music was for old people. This made me become conscious of the fact that classical music has yet to be appreciated by the average teenager.

Despite the fact that today’s top ten musicians would not be as successful as they are without the founding fathers of music, teenagers take Britney’s latest album for granted as they pop it in there car radio and start bopping their heads. As I use to say, “its just a song.”

When the classical musicians of the 19th century and prior were writing Sonatas and symphonies it was much more than just a song, it was an art form. Musicians worked for months as they wrote out their music and then heard it performed over and over again. The process of creating music was slow but promising. In fact, usually only royalty was privileged enough to hear music.

Nowadays, all you have to do is log onto a downloading site such as Napster or iTunes and boom you have music in less than thirty seconds.

It’s clear to see that despite the hard work put in by these classical composers, that their extreme efforts are disregarded by most teens. It has taken me a humanities project on Ludwig Van Beethoven to realize how significant classical music really is and how wordless music can actually have more meaning than one belted out by a pop star like Jessica Simpson.