The Essence of Venezuela

The Coupa Cafe is ideal for relaxation without ever feeling like leaving home. The airy space and luscious treats resemble the finest of Venezuela.

Six months ago the Coupa Cafe opened its doors for the first time in downtown Palo Alto. Hidden away from hectic University Avenue, the cafe is a homey alcove on Ramona Street. With seating both inside and out, the inside seating proves more relaxing and cozy.

Inside, the eye is immediately drawn toward the sizeable glass display case with delicate, French pastries and savory sandwiches. The large wine rack creates an eye catching backsplash. The space is separated with an arch leading to the grand fireplace and the inviting couch adds just the right touch.
Almost all the decor is reminiscent of Venezuela, cocoa and
coffee. There is even a coffee flower pot. With an abundance of nooks and crannies, the café sets the appropriate ambiance for intimate conversing.

The Coupa Cafe is modeled after the original Arabica Coffee Company, opened in 1992, in Caracas, Venezuela, with the foremost intention of offering the epitome of Venezuelan coffee to the locals. For the first time, Venezuelans had access to the Arabica beans generated originally from Ethiopia, states the restaurant’s online web site (www.coupacafe.com).

The menu is constructed on the wall and there are plenty of user friendly brochure menus. Although primarily a Venezuelan restaurant, the menu still includes cuisine from Argentina, Belgium, Chile, China, France, Greek, Italy, and Russia.

The manager, John Brady, informed us that almost all food was cooked on site and he was extremely polite and did not dismiss us after learning we were teenagers.

Choosing food was hard, so we started with some beverages. Two medium sized Iced "Chuao" Chocates ($3.25 ea.) were sweet and thick with punches of cinnamon and chilly powder. Although the Iced Latte/Cappuccino ($2.75) was bitter and not flavorful, I commend the attempt to keep the Venezuelan flavors intact. The Fresh OJ was recognizable with its pulpy and thick textures.

We started out with Arepas, traditional Venezuelan thin white cornmeal griddlecakes with variant ingredients. There were more than a dozen to choose from and finally we settled on the Combo and the Reina Pepiada ($ 9.75). By selecting two we were able to save $1.45. The Combo was a combination of carne mechada and queso amarillo. The other was shredded chicken and avocado. Allowing 10-15 minutes for the arepas to arrive as indicated in the menu, the time proved closer to 5 minutes when they actually arrived. Both arepas were warm with crispy exteriors and mealy, warm insides suggestive of eggs. Both were a bit too salty, especially the carne, and the avocado was a mere slice.

The Rosemary Chicken Panini ($4.50 half), served with a side salad, looked more appetizing in the display case. Had it not been served so quickly, the crunchy sandwich may have proved more than just lukewarm. The Rosemary was a tad too strong to my liking and there was too much mustard, but the rest of the contents, tomato and lettuce, complemented the sandwich adequately.

The Bocconcini ($6.95) was fresh baby mozzarella, baby tomatoes and basil served in a generous proportion. The side pesto was fortunately non greasy and hinted of a nutty texture.
The dessert was by far the highlight of the meal. To start off we ordered a Peach Sorbet ($4.50). The sorbet was embedded in a delicate heaven sent frozen peach served with a puff of whipped cream. As appealing as the frozen peach is, it is solely for ornamentation. The sorbet was more of a custard with a strong peach tang and provoked me to taste the other assortments of sorbet available.

Eating out is always about exploring unfamiliar foods. We tried the pricy Guanbana nectar ($3), cactus fruit with flavors that were crosses between coconut and banana bread. Unfortunately, I didn’t taste either flavor but instead thick guava and pineapple. The drink is good for tasting but after a few sips became too rich.
To finish the meal we tried the scrumptious chocolate tart ($4.75), framed by raspberries with raspberry sauce drizzled atop. To top it off, the center was sprinkled with shavings of white chocolate. The chocolate embraced with chilly powder, integrating with the raspberries while the white chocolate lingered in the mouth, added a whole new flavor to the mix. I was content after those lasting bites.

My experience at the café was a delightful treat and not many eateries offer quick and/or welcoming services. Where everything is petite and quality is a necessity, the Coupa Cafw makes you fall in love with food and drink once again and those are the good things in life.

The Coupa Cafe: 538 Ramona St., Palo Alto
Hours: Monday through Sunday 7:00am — 11:00pm.
www.coupacafe.com
Credit cards accepted
Parking garage across the street