Will Goodspeed, a true sports enthusiast

Freshman Will Goodspeed is a true sports enthusiast. Born in San Diego, Goodspeed was raised around the TV watching what he calls “the big three”: baseball, football, and basketball. Ever since Goodspeed can remember, sports have been a huge part of his life. He first began playing baseball at the tender age of five, which explains why his ultimate passion is baseball. However, there is much more to Goodspeed than sports.

This year, Goodspeed joined Paly’s JV football team, a sport that he had never played before this year. Football had never been one of his top priorities and he had wanted to wait to play football until high school. However, this year he felt that he was big enough physically to handle the rough plays. In addition, after watching his older brother Nick play a few games, Will was positive he wanted to play when he got to Paly. As it turns out, Goodspeed is one of the greatest contributors to the JV team.

“Will has never played before this year and he will only keep progressing and keep helping out the team even more than he already does,” coach Dave Duran said.

Goodspeed enjoys football because of the large physical contact aspect. His position, right tackle proves a great position for physical contact and he enjoys that if someone tackles him, in the next play he is able to make a tackle at them right back. “My brother is never afraid to get in there and make a tackle,” teammate and brother Nick Goodspeed said. “He is able to make quick and agile decisions about this move. He makes my job easier.” Goodspeed’s natural abilities and enjoyment of physical contact make him an asset to the team. “Will is not afraid to get in there and be physical and tackle. That is a key ingredient in having a strong player and a cohesive team that wins,” Duran said.

“Will’s a great team player. He makes several tackles each game. He is also really easy to coach, he will always make corrections quickly and always be ready for anything. And we can always count on him to boost our morale,” teammate Buddy Benaderet said.

Sophomore Nick, Will’s older brother, is also a large contributor to the team, as well as the resident JV quaterback.
Many believe that having an older brother just a year ahead and tightly involved in the same sport, could cause tension. However, that is not the case with the Goodspeed brothers. They are close friends, who are brought even closer together because of their several common interests, mainly sports. Will does not feel pressure to live up to any standards set by Nick, however, he does know that during a game, if the player Will is supposed to tackle happens to get by him and tackles his brother, he will get an earful on the car ride home from Nick.

Nick’s level of ability is constantly inspiring Will to reach that same level. “My brother has been playing football longer than me and knows the game better. Any tips or comments Nick gives me I really listen to,” Goodspeed said. While Nick is the quarterback and not tackling, he is still able to give his younger brother tons of advice, wisdom, and critique on his game.

Aside from playing sports, Goodspeed has another great passion: music. Goodspeed became interested in music at an early age but never really became very passionate about it until late elementary school. He played the trumpet, guitar, and the drums, and discovered that he enjoyed the drums and had a natural ability to play. Three and a half years ago Goodspeed fully converted over to being a drummer and has been loving it since then. Goodspeed says that right now he is not currently in a band, but he does have music sessions with his other friends.

Goodspeed moved to Palo Alto at the age of seven from Orange County. For middle school, Goodspeed attended Menlo School in Atherton. There he played baseball but he also discovered another passion: basketball. Goodspeed greatly enjoyed playing basketball and played on the Menlo team. All throughout middle school Goodspeed played through a local baseball league, Babe Ruth. As well he also played through another local league, NJB for extra basketball practice and just for fun. Throughout all of his years playing sports Goodspeed has always proved to be a standout with much drive, determination, and natural ability that will only help him progress in his athletic career.