Glass Pumpkin Patch on display

After the Paly Glass Program’s successful first annual ‘Glass Pumpkin Patch and Farmers Market’ last week, plans are already underway for a glass ornament sale during Christmas time.

The ‘Glass Pumpkin Patch and Farmers Market’ filled the Norsemen Gallery last week with festive glass pumpkins, colorful fruits and vegetables, as well as a small sampling of beautiful Christmas ornaments.

The glass program sold their artwork from 9 a.m.- 8 p.m. on Oct. 13 and from 9 a.m.- 3 p.m. on Oct. 14 in the Norsemen Gallery.

“The sale will go to support the Paly glass program and the artists,” ceramics teacher David Camner said.

“We were very pleased by the response we received on the first day,” Lori Camner, Mr. Camner’s wife, said. “The message got out to Paly High School students as well as to the Palo Alto community.”

The money raised from the glass sale will be used mainly to buy supplies for the glass program. The glass pieces range in price from about $20 to $150.

“We are hoping to raise a few thousand dollars,” Lori Camner said.

Much of the artwork was created by Paly Glass Program students, but professional glassblowers also contributed their work.

Among the professional artists were Melissa J. Lai, Steve Ferrera, Monique Tse, and Paly’s Artist-in-Residence Anthony Alfaro.

“Some of the artists just have their work here, but [Anthony Alfaro] works with us,” senior Scott Stanley, a Paly Glass student, said.

Besides displaying the glass pieces, Wednesday’s sale was also complete with glass blowing demonstrations, time to meet the artists, and a reception with drinks and hors d’oeuvres from 5 — 8 p.m.

“I hope they’ll make a good amount of profit,” said junior Ayeh Darvishzadeh, who was among the many Paly students who stopped by the Norsemen Gallery to take a look at the glass artwork. “The [pumpkins] demonstrate the Halloween kind of atmosphere very well.”

According to David Camner, the ‘Glass Pumpkin Patch and Farmers Market’ will become an annual event for the Paly Glass Program. The program is hoping that another sale at Christmas time will bring in even more needed funds.

“The program has grown a lot over the last few years,” David Camner said.

“And it’s a very costly program,” Lori Camner added.

The Paly Glass Program has grown immensely over the past few years, beginning with only a few students. Now it boasts 25 advanced glassblowing students and over 25 beginner students.

“I know a few people in the program and it seems like they’re having a lot of fun and learning a lot,” Darvishzadeh said.

For those interested in learning the art of glassblowing, the Paly Glass Program holds monthly weekend workshops.

Although the October workshop on 23 — 24 is full, more dates are planned for weekends throughout the year.

The weekend workshops are from 9 a.m.- 4 p.m., Nov. 20 — 21, Dec. 18 — 19, Jan. 22 — 23, Feb. 12 — 13, March 19 — 20, April 16 — 17, May 14 —15, and June 11 — 12 at Palo Alto High School’s Art Building in Room 112, 105.

There is a class limit of 4 people and the workshop costs $375 per person. Paly’s Artist-in-Residence Anthony Alfaro is the workshop instructor.

According to the Paly Glass Program’s information packet, workshops focus on beginning glassblowing techniques, basics of safety, gathering, marvering, and blowing a bubble. Students learn how to make spheres, cylinders, Christmas ornaments, paperweights, glasses, and pumpkins. The class’s aim is for each student to understand how to make each different type of glass form. Demonstrations are held throughout the weekend to teach students how to do specific steps, then students work in teams of two to practice and work on the process.

For more information about Palo Alto High School’s Glass Program, contact David Camner at (650) 329-3918 or (831) 688-4483 . Or email him at [email protected].