Christmas lights invade El Camino restaurant

Celia’s Mexican Restaurant, “Home of the Famous Margarita,” is one of countless other Mexican restaurants available to Palo Alto residents.
What exactly makes it different from others? Celia’s is located at 3740 El Camino Real, near Stanford. The wonderful family-style restaurant is perfect for those who are looking for large quantities of satisfying food.

Until a few years ago, Celia’s was located on University Avenue. Originally established by the Rodriguez family from Jalisco, Mexico, the Palo Alto Celia’s now flourishes in four different outlets throughout the Bay Area. Even as a chain, Celia’s still has the atmosphere of a family restaurant.

Aside from the small, crammed parking lot, the atmosphere of the place is charming. Standing behind a gate with a trellis overhead, a host waits courteously to seat customers. In the background there is soft mariachi music playing. There are two choices of seating; a generously heated, enclosed outdoor patio, or inside the restaurant itself. In the heart of the restaurant, along with numerous booths and assorted tables, there is a bar, which is supposedly the pride of the restaurant, for it is well advertised on their napkins.

At the back of the patio, there is an out-of-place brick wall, which disguises the door to the kitchen. The room is painted with vibrant orange and a paler yellow as contrast. To keep the essence of ‘patio,’ there are several large windows, which are peculiarly decked out with colorful Christmas lights, so customers can view the parking lot as they dine. By the brick wall is a fountain gurgling happily in the corner, with one palm tree planted next to it strung with more Christmas lights. Above, metal, nine-pointed stars hang like mystical lanterns.

Waiters serve diners, free of charge, a bowl of solid-looking chips with little salt, and two bowls of salsa, once seated. The mild salsa, or salsa fresca, is topped with fresh chunky tomatoes and bell peppers, along with a slightly spicier version, minus the tomatoes, which has the distinct taste of rice and beans.

The menu ranges from authentic Fajitas to seafood and Mexican dishes. The Tostada Salad is considered an appetizer but could easily be a customer’s whole meal. The salad is topped with avocados, sour cream, guacamole, and salsa fresca. Underneath the lettuce, the tortilla is delightfully crisp, and overall the item is delicious.

Not only can a customer order an item from Celia’s amazingly long list of alcoholic beverages, but also a standard selection of sodas, lemonade, coffee, tea, milk, grapefruit juice, orange juice, tomato juice, a Roy Rogers or a Shirley Temple. The Shirley Temple is not the best option, unfortunately. There is decidedly too much syrup and not enough soda water. Perhaps it is topped with three maraschino cherries to distract the consumer from the taste.

One of the classic entrées, Fajitas ($12.65), is especially appetizing. Although the waiter served the tortillas, meat, and vegetables at different times, the slight spice of the meat and the delicious flavor of the guacamole are mouth-watering.

In the Combinaciones or combinations category, the Enchilada and Tamale ($10.20) is a safe bet. The only issue with this dish is the confusion between the tamale and the enchilada, for both taste similar. This dish, as with all other entrée orders, is surrounded with a lake of brown, refried beans topped with melted cheese, and a mountain of Mexican rice.

The dessert menu ranges from regular vanilla ice cream ($2.65) to flan ($3.35), which is homemade vanilla custard with fried sugar topping. Unfortunately, one has little room left over for dessert, for this family-style restaurant’s food is extremely filling.

On Fridays and Saturdays, the two floors and outdoor patio of this restaurant are filled with lively music from a talented Mariachi band. Among classic songs, they sing more contemporary pieces like “La Bamba.” The vocals are impressive and resounding, and can be heard throughout the restaurant. For quiet diners, this can be unnerving.

With enjoyable food at a reasonable price for the quantity and an exciting atmosphere, Celia’s is an exceptional choice for lunch as well as dinner. The service, with a little more punctuality, could be one of the best. As Jenny Cox, a Celia’s diner said, “the service is attentive, but without being cloying.” Even though Celia’s is one of many Mexican restaurants in the Bay Area, it is definitely worth the visit.

Celia’s Mexican Restaurant
Tele: (650) 843-0643
3740 El Camino Real
Palo Alto, CA 94306
Open: 11 a.m.-10:30 p.m. Monday-Thursday;
11 a.m.-11 p.m. Friday-Saturday;
10 a.m.-10 p.m. Sunday
Price Range: $4.45 – $16.65
Credit Cards accepted
Three and ½ Stars

The complete menu can be found at the “Unofficial Guide” at http://unofficial.stanford.edu/premium/celiasmenu.html