Recap: Seniors remain in first, juniors close behind

Sophia Krugler, Managing Editor

Four students from the class of 2022 participated in a super-sized game of cornhole at the lunchtime rally Wednesday at the Palo Alto High School Viking Stadium. “We were louder than we were last year, which is awesome,” sophomore Owen Rice said. “[Our] cheers are better.”
Four students from the class of 2022 participate in a super-sized game of cornhole during the lunch rally Wednesday at the Palo Alto High School Viking Stadium. The sophomores earned first place in cornhole, but remain in third place overall. “We were louder than we were last year, which is awesome,” sophomore Owen Rice said. “[Our] cheers are better.” Photo: Sophia Krugler

With two days left in Spirit Week, the seniors remain in the lead, followed closely by the juniors after students dressed in their class colors and participated in the lunch rally Wednesday at Palo Alto High School.

Students cheered in the stands during lunch as they waited for the super-sized version of cornhole to commence. Teams of four from each class raced against the clock as they tossed as many pillows through a hole in a tarp as they could, throwing one at a time.

The sophomores took first place and the seniors fell into fourth place. The juniors and the freshmen earned the same amount of points, resulting in a 30-second tie-breaking round for second and third. The juniors scored one point, and the freshmen scored zero points, moving the class of 2021 to second place in the game.

Sophomore Owen Rice participated in the game of cornhole and said he has noticed improvements in this grade’s spirit from his freshman year.

“We upgraded a lot from last year,” Rice said. “We just keep getting louder.”

Following the cornhole game, two students from each grade participated in the Best Dressed competition. The juniors won first place, the seniors finished second, the sophomores finished third, and the freshmen finished fourth. 

Although no classes lost points due to uncleanliness, the Class of 2021 lost 200 points due to sportsmanship.

The seniors remain in first place overall with 9,350 points, however the juniors trail close behind with 9,200 points. The sophomores are in third place with 8,500 points, and the freshmen are in fourth place with 6,400 points. 

Tomorrow, each grade will dress up as a different generation, with the freshmen as babies, the sophomores as teeny boppers, the juniors as sophisticates, and the seniors as senior citizens. The lunchtime rally will include games like Water Bottle Flip and Clean Your Room, as well as the daily competitions for Best Dressed and cheers.