The Premium of Cookies and Cream

If you have a strong craving for something that tastes milky and creamy, you must enjoy the ice cream flavor of cookies and cream.
While strolling down the supermarket frozen food section, you’ll likely come across a massive variety of ice cream flavors. Different brands, sizes, calories, and flavors, which one is worth the money and taste? Now comes the decision to pick an ice ream that will satisfy most people’s craving for sweets. If you eventually decide to opt for the flavor cookies and cream, we tested a variety of ice cream brands to help you choose the best flavor. Whether you like ice cream with chunks, soft texture, nutty taste, or a strong chocolate taste, most likely they’ll be something for you.

Dreyer’s Grand Ice Cream

If you’re the type of person that gets upset at yourself after eating ice cream, Dreyer’s cookies and cream is probably the right choice for you. It’ll make you feel better and less guilty for eating ice cream. Dreyer’s ice cream is one of the healthiest choices for cookies and cream ice cream. With about only 3.9 grams of saturated fat (per ½ cup), and a total of about 150 calories (per ½ cup), it is very low comparing with other brands of ice cream. “Perfect!” says Anna Luskin, a panelist of the ice cream review. The Dreyer’s Grand ice cream has nice chocolate chunks, and a good texture.

Haagen Daz

In terms of cost, Haagan Daz’s cookies and cream ice cream is the most expensive of the various ice creams reviewed. The ice cream is high in fat, 150 calories from fat (per ½ up), and with a somewhat exotic taste for cookies and cream. “Sour taste. Chocolate taste is not at all authentic.” says Anjali Albuquerque, a panelist. Also commented are the ice cream’s excessive water, and not enough cookies. However, if you like cookies and cream with a strong vanilla taste, and less chocolate flavor, you might enjoy Haagen Daz.

Whole Food’s 365

Whole Food’s 365’s ice cream is more textured and creamy. It has about 15 grams of sugar (per ½ up), and about 5 grams of saturated fat (per ½ up) it is a somewhat healthy choice. It is a good choice for consumers who enjoy chunky and buttery ice creams. “Interesting, nutty aftertaste.” Our panelist Katie Gosling said. The ice cream is healthy, and achieves a high flavor score.

Safeway Select “Tuxedo”

The Safeway Select “Tuxedo” cookies and cream ice ream melts in the mouth, with a smooth and light taste. Although it has a smooth taste, some describe it as being too soft. “Too soft, need more depth.” Sam Marks said. The Safeway select has about only 12 grams (per ½ up) of sugar. It is a choice for consumers who don’t plan on spending a large amount of money for ice cream ($1.50/pint)

Breyers

Rated as one of the disappointing flavor tasting brands, the Breyers’ cookies and cream is described to be alcoholic. “Not creamy! Ahh! Tastes kind of alcoholic! Ewee… I couldn’t even take a second bite.” The panelist Doreen Bloch said. Besides selling at a reasonable price ($3.00/pint), the Breyers’ ice cream seems to have no other redeeming quality. Unless the consumer likes an alcohol taste, Breyers is probably not a good choice.

Cold Stone Creamery

The Cold Stone ice cream is sold at a high price ($4.75/pint). The flavor is described to be too rich and sweet. “A fatty taste; too creamy; too sweet.” Albuquerque said. The fat is also extremely high, 24 grams (per ½ up). It is one of the least healthy choices among the variety of ice cream tested.

Rick’s Rather Rich Ice Cream

Rated as one of the best cookies and cream flavored ice cream, Rick’s ice cream is high in sugar 30 grams (per ½ up), and high in calories, 380 (per ½ up). The ice cream flavor is less vanilla and more chocolate; it would be a good choice for chocolate lovers. The Oreo pieces in the ice cream are also a good supplement for a sweet and chocolaty taste.

Swensen’s

For a more minty taste in an ice cream, go for the Swensen’s cookies and cream. The ice cream is soft, and has good texture. The price is costly ($4.95/pint) but the taste is worth it. However, Swensen’s ice cream lacks creaminess.

Baskin Robbins

Baskin Robbins’ cookies and cream is rated as the best tasting overall ice cream in this review. It has a thick and good balanced taste. Not too sweet, yet exactly how cookies and milk taste like. The cost is reasonable ($2.50/pint), and the ice cream is not too fattening. With about 17 grams of sugar (per ½ up), and 160 calories, the ice cream ranks average in terms of healthiness. It is probably the most exact resemblance of what cookies and cream ice creams should taste like.