"Confessions" is queen in kingdom of bad drama

“Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen” is a cute movie, but nothing remotely resembling an award-winning film.

The movie follows the life of a teenage Lola Cep (Lindsay Lohan) who moves from the wild and crazy NYC, and although expecting nothing but boredom in her New Jersey suburban town, somehow manages to shake things up there with her mild eccentricity, effervescent attitude, and hip personality.

The film is a chronicle of the so- called “drama” of Lola’s life; finding a best friend, Ella (Alison Pill), who shares her star-struck adoration for the rock band Sidarthur, auditioning for the school’s musical production, dreaming of meeting her favorite rock band member Stu (Adam Garcia), combating the evil Miss Popularity Princess Carla Santini (Megan Fox), and escapading in the middle of New York City in the rain.

The story is reminiscent of Hilary Duff’s “The Lizzie McGuire Movie”. In fact, “The Lizzie McGuire Movie” and “Confessions” aren’t just suggestively comparable, they are practically one in the same: Normal teenage girl goes on the trip of her life and meets a famous singing celebrity. The girl is crushing on the famous musician long enough to realize that he is actually not that great and that her true happiness is closer to home.

Then, Disney uses this story line and incorporates familiar faces that sell to the targeted “tween” age group.

Director Sara Sugarman, for whom “Confessions” is her in-studio feature film debut, says on Disney.com that it is “a movie for every 14-year-old girl.” Disney advertised it as a movie that all teens can relate to and the script, according to their website, allegedly has more depth and charm than most chick-flick films.

Certainly there are some teenagers who would agree, but it is often difficult to relate to the underlying message of the story.

Lohan’s provocative dancing and garish attire are simply too distracting and the audience is hard-pressed to appreciate, let alone find, any inspirational messages under the superficiality of the film.

Lohan, previously the star of “Freaky Friday”, is a good actress and it is refreshing to see that she has taken chances with the character. Lohan is not afraid to act wacky on camera, and she is not shy about her newfound vocal talents either. Even so, there is still a lingering feeling throughout the entirety of the film that she is doing the part only for the sheer attention contracted by it.

The rest of the actors also execute their parts well and all the characters blend nicely in the movie.

Certain members of the production team behind the movie through contribute more than the cast itself.

The costumes, designed by David C. Robinson, are creative and fun. His work can also be seen in the movie “Zoolander, and TV shows such as “Lizzie McGuire” and “State of Grace,” and “Confessions” is definitely another work to add to his repertoire.

Musical score and choreography for the movie are also a success. Mark Mothersbaugh, whose work can be heard in “The Royal Tenenbaums”, “Thirteen”, and “Sugar & Spice”, is responsible for the hip music in “Confessions”. All the songs are catchy and the audience might even find themselves humming along.

Choreography Marguerite Derricks, who also created dances for “Austin Powers” and “Charlie’s Angels” and has won three Emmy Awards for her work, perfectly complimented the score with energizing dance sequences.

On the other hand, the editing and screenplay could’ve both used some work. It is difficult to understand how much time passes between different scenes and certain character relationships are not well developed in the script.

Overall, “Confessions” is not a wonderful movie, but it can pride itself on being a cute film that is entertaining enough for an hour and a half if you have nothing better to do.

“This is a story about a girl who learns that it’s important to dream big, but to work toward those dreams,” Sugarman says on the Disney.com website.

She should have taken heed with this statement. Sugar man should’ve spent less time daydreaming about the film’s potential and devoted more time to working out the details of the movie.

“So much drama, so little time.” The movie’s poster slogan is right. Sure the movie has its comedic charm, but there is already so much drama in our own world that it is simply unnecessary to pay $9 to watch Lohan and friends convey exactly what you already knew about life and all its wonders.