Junior upset: Over 160 parking permits distributed to seniors

Gracia Hmelar and Olivia Ramberg-Gomez

Over 160 parking permits were passed out to seniors, the most Paly has ever distributed, leading to a very limited number of permits available for juniors for the 2019-2020 school year, according to Associated Student Body Bookkeeper Fatima Giffen. 

An overwhelming amount of parking permits were given out to seniors this year, more than ever before, according to ASB Bookkeeper Fatima Giffen. “I’ve never seen so many seniors ask for them [parking permits],” Giffen said. “I’m shocked at how many we have. I think we have almost 165-170 seniors this year [requesting permits]. It’s never happened before.” Photo: Olivia Ramberg-Gomez

Giffen said this is the first time there has ever been such an astounding amount of seniors requesting parking permits. 

“I’ve never seen so many seniors ask for them [parking permits],” Giffen said. “I’m shocked at how many we have. I think we have almost 165-170 seniors this year [requesting permits]. It’s never happened before.”

The number of student parking permits available each year is based on the amount of space in both the Churchill Avenue parking lot and the El Camino Real parking lot. Giffen said combined, both parking lots hold about 205 parking spots for visitors and students. 

This year, only 35 student parking permits were given to juniors, and many of those were for students who live farther away, according to Giffen.

“I think we gave it [a permit] to somebody who lived closer than we thought, but usually we take that [distance from Paly] into consideration,” Giffen said. “Are you in the Gunn district? Where are you coming from?’ That is what we base it off of.”’ 

Junior Andie Tetzlaff and her twin sister Jenna are two of the many juniors who did not receive a parking permit for this school year.

“Since we didn’t get a permit we’re back to parking on El Camino, which honestly stresses me out a bit,” Tetzlaff said. “Parallel parking is hard when there’s oncoming traffic.”

On the other hand, junior Ziggy Tummalapalli said he’s angered by students who may have a longer commute who weren’t able to get a parking permit solely because they are juniors.

“There are people for whom walking is more convenient from a distance-and-time perspective that received parking permits, and other people who live across town that didn’t receive any,” Tummalapalli said. “Plus, in the morning there are plenty of spots in Paly where people could park. It’s not even like there’s a limited number of spots and it’s filling up too quickly. More juniors should have definitely received parking permits.”

Each parking permit costs $100, which covers the entirety of the school year. The money goes towards ASB and Paly student events, according to Giffen. 

“Usually, it just goes towards the dance, Prom.” Giffen said. “It’s considered a fundraiser for the ASB.”

Senior Alex Dudin said he thinks the price is worth it, the price evening out as the school year goes on. 

“It [the price] ends up working out to $11 a month and it saves a lot of time,” Dudin said.

Giffen said some seniors are still in the process of turning in their permits, putting a pause on permits available for juniors. 

“We’ve never put a cap on seniors, but this is the first year I’m thinking were going to have to consider that,” Giffen said. “That [not all seniors have turned them in] is the problem. That’s why I can’t give out any more permits to juniors.”