The New Old' Pro

In the mood for a juicy cheeseburger, and hot crispy garlic fires? Then a trip to the new "Old Pro" located at 541 Ramona Ave is definitely in order.
When you walk through the doors, you walk into an old time sports bar, blue walls with wooden décor. Framed Sport’s Illustrated covers dating back to the 1960s blanket the walls and give the restaurant a sports-like feel.

The menu can take up quite a bit of your time, because in addition to all the food listings there are a ton of interesting sports facts printed around the edges of all the pages. This is a nice touch, and the menu also includes some great facts about the original Old Pro, an institution in Palo Alto since 1964. Previously located on El Camino Real in Palo Alto, the Old Pro had many loyal customers. The inviting new location is bound to bring back old faces, and new ones as well.

The Old Pro is a Palo Alto is an age old Palo Alto tradition. The Old’ Pro is one of the oldest restraints in Palo Alto, and was refurbished in 1994.

Some may think that the Old Pro is just another sports bar. But in fact, it is a very kid/teen friendly restaurant. Old Pro supports YMCA and Little league teams and has a great time with it. "We do lots of support for the Palo Alto Little League and YMCA," owner Steve Fincheck said "Teams come in for lunch and we serve them free pizza." The chicken tenders ($6.95) were on the menu as an appetizer, but there were enough chicken pieces to pass as a dinner.

Not only is the Old Pro a sports bar, but it attracts many different people, everywhere from family’s to teens to plain old partiers. "We see ourselves as a restaurant slash sports bar," Fincheck said. "Our restaurant is very eclectic and offers lots of different food." The Old Pro means it when they say that they offer many kinds of foods. Cheeseburgers ($6.49) are a safe bet, but for those of you who live on the edge I recommend delicious chili-cheese burgers ($7.95). There smothered in red onions and topped with a crispy bun.

If spicy foods sound good to you, then you can’t go wrong with the buffalo wings ($6.95). However; the variety of dishes does not stop there. You can also get a vegetable pizza, that comes to your table fresh from the oven with delicious crispy crust ($5.00-$11).
There’s also a Hawaiian cheeseburger, with sliced pineapple called the Big Kahuna Burger ($7.95) This cheeseburger was full of flavor on the inside, but unfortunately topped with a rather soggy bun.

The atmosphere is warm and friendly and quite comfortable. On a bustling Friday night at 7 p.m. we were seated almost immediately with a reservation. Those without one were not quite so lucky.

Service was quick and friendly, and though the food prices seemed fair and reasonable, soda refills were not free. The dessert menu was limited, but considering how big the cheeseburgers were it was not a problem.

After dinner, you can enjoy a game of pool, air hockey or video games upstairs. There were two television sets, a pinball machine and a few couches to relax in. Downstairs they have no less then 15 television sets and a pool table (which surprisingly had no problem with teenagers playing). An outdoor patio for al fresco dining in warmer weather is bound to be quite popular.

Although, the new ‘Old Pro’ is not the original, it is definitely worth a try. It’s full of life, fun people, and good food. As Fincheck said, "It is different being in downtown Palo Alto because it brings different people."