Paly golf team close to finishing undefeated

The Paly golf team is currently undefeated, and faces Fremont Monday at the Palo Alto Municipal Golf Course. With a win against Fremont, the team will end its season undefeated for the first time in five years.

The team’s last game was Monday against Homestead at the Sunnyvale Municipal Golf Course. Paly won, 184-198. The win has left the team with an 11-0 league record before its twelfth and final match Monday.

The Vikings played their most significant competitor, Mountain View, April 14, and won. Paly shot 176, a team low in scoring. Mountain View shot 182. The match took place at Shoreline, on a course of par 36. Junior Will Haydon and senior John Robinson both shot impressive 33s. Sophomores Max Rausch and Natty Stern shot 35 and 36 respectively. The victory complimented the team’s win against Los Altos the day before, 192-216.

"We have had such a great year because of our team’s depth," senior Andy Livingston said. "Even with the loss of Aaron Telch and Steve Kim, we’ve been able to bounce back to another great season."

Paly’s success is due in part to the two sophomores, Max Rausch and Natty Stern, and one junior, Will Haydon, who all have a spot in the top five players.

After the last league game on Monday, the team will compete in the league tournament, May 3-4, at the Eagle Ridge Golf Course in Gilroy. If Paly places in the top two, it will advance to the Central Coast Section tournament, May 11-12, at the Rancho Canada Golf Course in Carmel Valley. With a top four placement there, the team would advance to the Nor-Cal tournament.
Last year, the team finished with a league record of 11-0-1 and made it to Nor-Cal’s for the first time ever, where it tied for fifth place.

"It would be awesome to make it to Nor-Cal’s again, especially since this is my last year on the team," Livingston said. "I definitely think we are able to not only qualify but to do even better than last year in the tournament."

The team has been coached for five years by Gerry Benton, a golf pro at the Deep Cliff Golf Course in Cupertino.