A healthy approach to Thai cuisine

Approaching a relaxing waterfall in the middle of downtown Palo Alto is not just wishful thinking, but rather the entrance to the newly opened Thai restaurant, Thaiphoon, on 543 Emerson St.
The restaurant, taking the place of the New Bamboo, serves fresh ingredients in a friendly atmosphere which makes one feel they are in Thailand.

When one comes inside the restaurant one is surrounded by soft, lime-green walls and Thai paintings and sculptures. The tables are covered with oriental tapestry, and dishes which perfectly complement the color of the walls of the restaurant. The chairs are straw-woven with comfortable green cushions that also match the walls. The open spherical lighting helps provide an Asian inspired feel.

This décor was the idea of Thaiphoon owner, Tom Bongambai, who brought all the décor from Thailand. An immigrant of Thailand, Bongambai has been in the restaurant business for 15 years. He says he was especially excited to open Thaiphoon restaurant because downtown is well-known for its restaurants. Bongambai says he wants his restaurant to be one of the more popular restaurants in the extremely competitive downtown Palo Alto.

Bongambai’s goal is to serve healthy and light food that is not only delicious but is also visually pleasing. The diverse menu has many vegetarian, meat, and seafood dishes, as well as dessert. All the dishes are pleasing to the eye and are brought in different colored plates and bowls.

An authentic start to the meal is the Tom Yum Kai soup ($4.25 bowl, $11.50 pot), brought in a Thai silver bowl. The waiter might explain the contents of the soup as he serves it into green ceramic bowls. The soup contains chicken and mushrooms in a hot and sour flavored broth, with a hint of lime. After the first sip people can taste in the back of their throats a sour, mildly spicy, thin broth, that leaves a spicier aftertaste. The mushrooms taste extremely fresh while the chicken tastes dry and is somewhat hard to chew.

Juicier chicken can be found in the Thaiphoon Lettuce wraps ($7.95). The appetizer consisted of large pieces of iceberg lettuce served with either chicken or tofu, and mushrooms, tomatoes, and bell peppers in a slightly spicy but very flavorful dish. The sauce is strong but does not overpower the dish, showcasing all the ingredients wonderfully.

All entrees are served with either white or brown rice. The Beef with Bamboo Shoots ($7.95) is probably one of the weaker dishes of the restaurant. The beef is tough and chewy, like the chicken in the soup. The meat is so salty it takes away from the other flavors in the dish.

A surprisingly delicious dish is the Pineapple Rice ($8.95).The dish contains pan-fried rice, fresh prawns, cashew nuts, and rich, juicy pineapple giving off a light, slightly sweet, coconuty aroma.

The Green Curry Vegetables ($7.25) contain fresh vegetables and tofu in a medium spicy, coconut broth. The tofu is too soft and watery. Even though the vegetables are well-prepared, the dull sauce takes away from them and makes the entree lack any real flavor. However, when the Green Curry Vegetables are mixed with the Pineapple Rice, the rice makes the vegetable dish much more enjoyable and provides a nice blend of spicy and sweet flavors.

One of Thaiphoon’s most popular dishes is the Pad Thai which can be vegetarian or come with chicken or seafood. The Pad Thai Shrimps ($8.25) is filled with rice noodles with egg, green onions, prawns, and peanuts with a tangy, sweet sauce. The peanuts add texture to the dish, making it crunchy, and complement the dish well.

A great way to end the meal is with the Sweet Sticky Rice with Fresh Mango ($4.50). The warm rice is of course sticky, but is also coconuty, sweet, and filled with sesame seeds. The fresh and juicy mango is a great accompaniment to the rice, lightening the dish.

The atmosphere of the restaurant adds to the food. The waiters are polite, though sometimes forgetful. They do not treat teenagers differently from other customers. Thaiphoon is a truly great place to sit with friends and enjoy each other’s company. There is seating available inside and outside. For more private gatherings, the restaurant also has two booths which are slightly more isolated.

The food has complex flavors. Owner Bongambai describes Thai food as being "sweet, rich coconuty, and spicy." His restaurant is a nice change from the fast food teenagers ordinarily eat. So take Bongambai’s advice and, "Give Thai food a try. It’s healthy for you."

Location: 543 Emerson St. Palo Alto
Phone: (650) 323-7700
Price per person: $6.95-$12.50
Reservations: Not needed