Don't go metrosexual

A metrosexual is defined as "an urban male with a strong aesthetic sense who spends a great deal of time and money on his appearance and lifestyle" (says wordspy.com).
He pumps iron at the gym, frequents the shopping mall, and mousses his hair. His look consists of more than simply the same pair of broken-in jeans every day, and he actually discusses his look in casual conversation. This may sound nice, if you’re checking this guy out, but to me, the metrosexual is actually just a guy who is overly concerned with his appearance and other peoples’ opinions of him. The extra effort that goes into preening is self-concerned.

You’re probably wondering who to blame for this strange phenomenon. Several men are credited with the development of the metrosexual. First, there is Mark Wahlberg, the ex-rapper who shed his clothes for a Calvin Klein underwear ad campaign in the mid 1990’s. Apparently, Wahlberg’s rippling body revealed in the half-naked ads inspired men to spend more time focusing on their own little worlds. However, the god of the metrosexuals has to be professional soccer player David Beckham. He is as famous for wearing sarongs and painting his nails as he is for his famous bending shot on goal. Every week, Beckham sports a new ‘do, and he indulges in himself with frequent spa visits. He has clearly embraced the metrosexual lifestyle, leading the way for other men to become metrosexuals. The word "metrosexual" was coined by writer Mark Simpson, who first included it in an article in The Independent in 1994, but it didn’t really catch on until 2002, when he used it again in another article published at Salon.com. Gosh, good thing he didn’t give up on that word.

Although certain men led the way for other men to embrace their metrosexuality, I cannot truly credit them with the creation of the so-called new man. I do not see these men as the driving force behind the metrosexual movement. I believe that corporations are entirely responsible for the shift. Let’s say you were a corporation, selling clothing. You have already convinced females that they need to buy clothing for every season, for every occasion, and that what they already own is out of style. Males, on the other hand, represent a market that has not been tapped. Idea: the metrosexual! Convince men that they want to shop, that they need to shop, that they were born to shop. Who directly benefits if guys start buying more clothing, more hair products, possibly even makeup, and various other accessories to support their lifestyles? The answer is clear– the companies producing these items. Commercial society has been pushing men to "buy, buy, buy" for a long time. Companies have done a lot of work to convince men to change their buying habits.

I see metrosexualism as a creation of huge corporations, so I cannot respect it as a style. Frankly, it’s a waste of time and money. To go completely stereotypical, the traditional male doesn’t concern himself with his appearance, and he acts based on what he wants to do, not on what other people think.

Women have already been convinced to invest much time and money in their beautification. Shows like Extreme Makeover take a woman (or man) and give her plastic surgery, an exercise routine, and new hair, makeup and clothing. Clinics have already been set up to replicate the show’s process, to satisfy a need to become beautiful. I see this as a huge problem– people place far too much emphasis on their appearance. It may sound cliché, but looking good cannot necessarily remedy feeling bad. I do not see forcing men into the mould that women face as healthy, but it has already begun. About one in five cosmetic surgeries were performed on a man, which is not an insignificant percentage of plastic surgeries. Metrosexualism cannot remedy the growing obsession with male beauty, but only increase it. The idea of metrosexuals doesn’t have to do with any inner qualities, only outward beauty and glamour.

Some people suggest that the women’s movement has been the greatest factor in making average guys into metrosexuals, that since women have come into their own they have required more of their men. I have to disagree; women fought for real rights, not simply the "right" to clean up guys.

I guess that in a twisted way, this shift may mark an achievement of equality that has finally rolled around. The beauty issues women already face may now confront metrosexuals. Personally, I think it is unfair for anyone to be subjected to societal standards of beauty. I think that instead of creating new standards for male beauty, people should concern themselves with more important qualities.