Badminton team defeated by Lynbrook

Back to Article
Back to Article

Badminton team defeated by Lynbrook

Freshman Brandon Wu serves the birdie to sophomore Boen Wang during the second set of the boys' varsity one singles match. Wu won the game in two sets (21-8, 21-12), however Paly was defeated by Lynbrook with an overall score of 6-24. Prior to the match, Wu said he wanted to focus on

Freshman Brandon Wu serves the birdie to sophomore Boen Wang during the second set of the boys' varsity one singles match. Wu won the game in two sets (21-8, 21-12), however Paly was defeated by Lynbrook with an overall score of 6-24. Prior to the match, Wu said he wanted to focus on "keeping my shots in, not playing too rushed, and just having a fun time." Photo: Sophia Krugler

Sophia Krugler, Staff Writer

Paly freshman Brandon Wu serves to Lynbrook sophomore Boen Wang during the second set of the boys’ badminton varsity one singles match against Lynbrook Thursday in the Peery Family Center. Wu won the game in two sets (21-8, 21-12), however Paly was defeated by Lynbrook with an overall score of 6-24. Prior to the match, Wu said he wanted to focus on “mainly keeping my shots in, not playing too rushed, and just having a fun time.” Photo: Sophia Krugler

After a loss to Lynbrook High School on Thursday with an overall score of 6-24, the Palo Alto High School badminton team (1-7) remains positive.

So far the Paly Vikings have only had one victory, against Gunn High School, but they are undiscouraged, according to sophomore Ethan Hwang who competed in the boys’ varsity two singles match.

“It’s always been kind of a struggle for Paly,” Hwang said. “Last season we only won two games, but we just try our best every time and it’s a fun journey.”

Hwang’s teammate, freshman Brandon Wu, carried the same mindset into his boys’ varsity one singles match.

“I just need to focus during the game,” Wu said prior to the match. “Sometimes the opponent can be strong, but you still have to try your best even if you’re losing.”

Wu’s focus paid off, and he won the game in two sets with scores of 21-8 and 21-12, earning the Paly Vikings an additional three points. Although his opponent Boen Wang trailed close behind in the beginning of the first set, Wu secured his lead with 11 straight points to finish out the set.

However, Wu’s win was not enough to ensure a Viking victory with Paly winning only two games out of a total 15. This was partially because Paly forfeited all three of its girls’ varsity singles matches due to a lack of participants, a problem that has caused them to forfeit a total of 12 games this season. 

The Vikings have faced off against the Lynbrook earlier this season and suffered a close loss with an overall score of 13-17.

“This time, we are really just trying to focus on the basics,” coach Alex Adame said before the game. “We’re matching up pretty fairly well with them, so we feel pretty confident.”

Although Paly did not win, coach Jesi Marquez said the team has improved from the beginning of the season.

“I’d say that our players have made tremendous progress,” Marquez said. “Honing in on their skills and their talents, and figuring out the right pairings and lineup to showcase, that is what we’re doing differently now.”

Paly will play Gunn at 3:45 next Tuesday at home.