Dirty Dancing: Havana Nights tops the original Dirty Dancing

Dirty Dancing: Havana Nights, directed by Guy Ferland, is a new film that lights up the big screen with attractive actors and hot Cuban music.

The story features an American teenager, Katey Miller, played by Romola Garai, who moves to Cuba with her family because of her father’s executive position with a car manufacturer. In America, Katey finds herself mostly reading and studying for school, but once in Cuba she changes when she meets Javier Suarez, played by Mexican actor Diego Luna. Katey is drawn to Javier, a waiter at the ritzy hotel that she is staying at, and begins to pursue him instead of focusing on the American boys as her mother (Sela Ward) wishes.

After missing the bus and walking home from her prep school one day, Katey is interested when she sees the large groups of people dancing in the Havana streets. She soon learns that this is an essential part of their culture. Katey becomes determined to learn how to dance like the Cubans in the streets and soon learns from Javier. Behind her parents’ back, Katey signs up Javier and herself for a local dance competition at the "Palace".

Katey and Javier’s secret meetings at Havana nightclubs to practice their dance moves draw viewers to the edge of their seats. The contest comes around and Katey and Javier dance beautifully, but are interrupted when a gun shot is heard in the building and Cuban citizens begin to riot in the streets outside of the Palace. This event brings a dramatic end to the film.

Although the movie’s primary focus is on Javier and Katey’s fairy-tale like passion for each other, the film is thoroughly entertaining.

Luna does a fantastic job playing the hardworking, sexy Javier. However, his acting talents are not always emphasized throughout the film, as his dancing is what is focused on.
British actress Garai is able to gain the audience’s undivided attention with here sweet smile and attractive physique. Although her looks are completely opposite from Luna’s, their differences clash nicely to form a stunning dancing couple.

Although the movie was shot in Puerto Rico and Florida, Ferland captures the rustic but live feeling of the streets and nightclubs of Havana well. This gives the viewers a good idea of the emotions of the Cuban citizens toward the Americans who also live in Cuba. Luna and Garai do a good job of stressing their different backgrounds and culture. This eventually develops into one of the main themes in the film.

Although some of the emotional scenes involving Katey and Javier seem somewhat fake, and some of the dance moves seem too sexual for a PG-13 audience, the hot dancing and Latin music are well worth the eight-dollar ticket.