New finals schedule to make use of minimum day

Hallie Faust and

Students can expect changes for spring semester finals — including a four-day exam schedule — according to an announcement by Palo Alto High School’s Assistant Principal Katya Villalobos.

Villalobos confirmed late last week in a Schoology post that the administration would eliminate the triple final day, which previously took place on the first day of finals.

Assistant Principal Katya Villalobos examines the altered spring semester finals schedule. Although the schedule was created early last fall, it was not ready until this semester, according to Villalobos. “We had some hiccups in the first semester, getting everyone on board just in terms of communication,” Villalobos said. Photo: Hallie Faust

Through these changes, administrators say they aim to decrease the overall stress that accompanies finals week while also making use of the minimum day at the end of the week.

“We know that, by seeing it [the triple final day] and the feedback that we have gotten from students, having three finals a day can be quite daunting,” Villalobos said.

According to Villalobos, the four-day finals schedule has been in the works since last semester. It was created by the school’s Ed Council, a collection of administrators, department heads and other leaders within the school.

The new schedule consists of four days, beginning with a four-hour day on Tuesday.

“This way, we have the first day with one [final], and then Tutorial times where they can still talk to other teachers,” Villalobos said. “They also have a late start, except for Friday, and an early dismissal.”

Katya Villalobos released the new finals schedule through a Schoology message last week. The schedule makes use of the minimum day on Friday, May 31, helping to eliminate the triple final day.

First and third period have been moved to Friday, which was previously a minimum day with no finals.

“I was bothered by the minimum day on the last day, so I think it is good that we are taking advantage of that,” sophomore Anna Roth said.

It was vital to release the schedule at the right time to allow students to plan adequately, according to Villalobos.

“Since we finished it off for the first semester, we felt that this was a good time to roll it off for spring,” Villalobos said. “Unless something happens, this will be the schedule from here on out.”