New York taste in Mountain View

An embodiment of a New York pizza joint right here in the Bay Area, Amici’s East Coast Pizzeria has more variety than the average pizzeria in New York City, but accordingly is a bit more pricey.
The original New York/Italian-style, brick oven-charred pizza is almost paper thin, crisp and overflowing with flavor.

Pizzas, pastas and salads – everything you could ever want from an Italian restaurant, right? If so, then this is your place. Always full of regulars and newcomers alike, Amici’s, at 790 Castro Street in Mountain View, is an ideal place to take a group of friends.

Amici’s on Castro Street is the newest of five locations in the Bay Area. Others include Redwood Shores, San Mateo, San Francisco, and San Rafael. The Mountain View location feels more like a restaurant made for businessmen and groups with numerous people; definitely unlike the feeling of actual New York pizzerias that can only sit 10 people in the entire establishment. Black and white photos of East Coast baseball teams (mostly from New York) hang on the walls, adding to the feeling that you are in the city.

Amici’s is known more for their New York-style pizzas rather than the other items of the menu. Some of the restaurant’s most commonly ordered pizzas are the Philly Pizza with caramelized onions, roasted green peppers and your choice of mild Italian sausage, hot Italian sausage or turkey sausage. Another is the Calabria Pizza with mozzarella, provolone, pancetta, and your choice of green olives or tomatoes.

For the more traditional pizza lovers, the Margherita Pizza is a common favorite, covered completely with mozzarella, tomatoes, fresh basil and olive oil (tomato sauce is optional). It may sound a little boring, but if you enjoy original New York pizza, this one is the one for you.

Pizzas are ordered from four different sizes: choose from mini (7"), small (10”), medium (13”) or large (15”). For a family of four eating out, waiters recommend ordering a medium-sized pizza.
Amici’s also offers a large range of pastas. The pesto linguine, penne or fettuccine ($8.95 small/$11.50 large) are delicious and filling. The pasta primavera offers a choice of linguini, fettucini, or penne pastas, with seasonal vegetables with roasted pine nuts and parmesan cheese in a white wine broth ($9.50 small/$11.95 large). However, the four-cheese lasagna ($8.95 small, $11.50 large) can be passed on as it is a little too oily and hard to chew.

In addition to pizza and pasta, a pleasant array of appetizers and salads is also offered. Although the garden salad is nothing special, the antipasto salad ($6.50 small/$10.95 large) which includes romaine lettuce, tomato, red onion, green pepper, Italian salami, pepperoncini, Kalamata olives and mozzarella is very appealing. Above all others stands the chilled broccoli ($5.50). Drizzled with a tad of extra virgin olive oil, and crested with lemon slices, it’s one of the best items of the menu.

Amici’s is not the type of place where once you have paid and are walking out the door, you feel like you have been overcharged. The dishes are light, yet satisfactory. Amici’s was voted ‘ First Place Winner for Healthiest Pizza’ by the Cholesterol Council of America. Graced with some of the best service around, customers are in for an experience that will most likely have them coming back for more. If you like eastern style Italian, Amici’s is a traditional experience.