Excessive fouls plague boys' basketball team

The Paly Varsity boys’ basketball team fell short in a close 48-42 loss against Milpitas, Jan. 9. After an impressive performance on Jan. 7 against Fremont, the Vikings were surprisingly sloppy, making many turnovers and committing costly fouls.

The Vikings put the first points on the board when Senior center Oystein Aukland made two free throws to give his team the early lead. The Trojans answered right back with a two point bucket to tie up the game. With two quick fouls, the Trojans’ center David Haile was taken out to avoid any more foul trouble in the first quarter.

The Vikings took control of the game in the second quarter by applying solid defensive pressure on the Trojans. Sophomore small forward Steven Brown came off the bench for an impressive 5 points in the second quarter, including a three pointer that gave the Vikings a 17-14 lead with 3 minutes left in the half.

Senior shooting guard, Ben Schwartz, stripped the ball from a Trojan defender and then took it all the way to basket, adding to Paly’s lead. The Vikings looked strong going into the half with a 21-16 lead, but the advantage was short lived.

With seven quick fouls in the third quarter, the Vikings were off to a terrible start to the second half. The Trojans capitalized on the free throws, making all eight of them. The Vikings’ lead was cut short to 32-30 going into the fourth quarter.

After a turnover on a shot clock violation, the Vikings stripped the ball from the Trojans, but a bad outlet pass resulted in the Trojans regaining position. The Trojans scored a quick two pointer, tying the game at 34-34 with 5:30 left in the game. Paly’s Steven Brown scored a long 3 pointer, but this was answered shortly by Trojan junior shooting guard Mcfarlan, tying the game once again, 37-37.

The Trojans made another two free throws courtesy of the Vikings’ defense. Schwartz answered back with a clutch three pointer with 3:50 remaining in the ballgame.

Once again fouls haunted the Vikings, giving the Trojans 5 more points. With less than one minute left in the game, trailing 42-46, the Vikings could not get the ball inbounds in time.

The Vikings will have to put this loss behind them as they move on to tougher teams in their division.