Girls' soccer crushes Cupertino

The Palo Alto Varsity girls’ soccer team rolled over the Cupertino Firebirds, 9-0, Tuesday, at Paly. The Lady Vikes showed why they are the defending league champions and favorites to repeat.

Senior standout Kat Stolpa, headed to USC on a soccer scholarship next year, pitched in a hat-trick and an assist to lead the Lady Vikes’ eruption of scoring.

"My job as a forward is to score, so it’s nice when I can do what I’m supposed to do to help the team win," Stolpa said.

The game began slowly for the Vikings as for the first 15 minutes, Paly would only threaten, but not finish. Senior midfielder Dani Hanibusa finally ended the goal draught as she punched in a bouncing ball from the top of the box.

The goal set the tone for the game, and the Lady Vikes scored again just ten minutes later when freshman midfielder Robin Chang found twine, striking in a deflected shot.

"Our play is fluctuating right now," Stolpa said. "Sometimes we play really well and have no problems winning games, but other times we can’t seem to connect a pass. We are all over the charts."

Paly continued to threaten the shaky Firebird defense as Stolpa missed a shot from close range, and the ball took a bad hop near the goal. Shortly afterwards, junior forward Austin Freeman shot a laser off the goalies outstretched fingers, nailing the crossbar.

The Paly defense, anchored by juniors Tessa Buchin, Leanne Racine, and sophomore Cathy Nolan, kept the Lady Vikes’ offense in threatening position by keeping Cupertino backed up in their own half for almost the entire game. Paly’s keeper, junior Perris Aufthmus, touched the ball only once the entire game.

Just before the half ended, the ball was deflected in by a group of Vikings off a perfect cross from Stolpa.

Stolpa kept the Lady Vikes rolling out of the gates by dribbling though the defense and scoring just minutes into the second half. Shortly after, junior forward Lindsay Stirrat scored through a crowd in front of the net.

Chang came close to scoring again but missed a short range shot at a tough angle. Hanibusa finished on an opportunity on a high, arching shot from 30 yards out, floating it over the keeper.

Paly threatened again just moments later a close shot of Stolpa’s was blocked, and the Lady Vikes failed to punch in a lose ball off a corner kick. Stolpa, however, did not miss a second oppurtinity as she buried a shot in the lower, left corer of the goal off of her own steal.

Stirrat scored again as she beat the defense to the end-line, and fought for positioning to take a shot. The Lady Vikes struck once more when junior Anne Ryan tallied a goal, rattling the corner netting from the top of the box.

"For the most part I think we are coming together. We get a long really well off the field so I think that helps on the field," Stolpa said.

The Vikings will travel to Saratoga to play the Falcons Thursday at 3:30, will host Homestead Jan. 20, and then will replay each team in their league.