Varsity girls basketball dominates Lynbrook

The Palo Alto Varsity girls’ basketball team crushed Lynbrook 56-26 in a league game on Tuesday, Jan 6. The Lady Vikes’ win bumped their record to a satisfying eleven wins and four loses.

Paly started off the first quarter aggressively, executing plays and hitting their shots. Lynbrook on the other hand, had trouble making key shots and Paly’s defense was hard to beat.

Paly senior Savannah Hayes started the game by winning the tip off and passing to team mate senior Sara Schulte. Hayes scored two points in the first and collected many boards, while Schulte hit a jumper and scored two points from the foul line. With help from senior Jossy Tseng, who contributed four points in the first, Paly was winning 14-4 at the end of the first quarter.

Tseng dominated the second quarter as she charged to the basket, either scoring a lay-up or drawing a foul. She scored eleven points in the first half and went three for four from the line. Sophomore Bre Clay contributed to Paly’s success with ten points in the first half. In addition, the girls’ height advantage helped them win the majority of the rebounds in the first half.

However, Lynbrook’s defense was successful in taking away many of Paly’s attacking chances. A three-pointer, a free-throw, and a field goal in the second quarter helped Lynbrook get more points on the board. At the half, Paly had a commanding lead of 30-14.

Paly’s strong defense in the third quarter kept Lynbrook to only scoring twelve points. Schulte played a big part in Paly’s success. In the quarter, she stole the ball three times and sunk three field goals. Junior Dami Wusu helped on defense by grabbing two rebounds and blocking a shot. Lynbrook found their way to the foul line and went for an impressive two for three under extreme pressure.

"We capitalized on turnovers, which helped our attack, but most importantly, we pressured them with our defense," Paly coach Amy Stock said. "Our defense looked the best tonight."

Paly kept up the good defense in the fourth quarter. Schulte had three more steals and Tseng had another, her first of the night. Paly led counterattacks after the four steals and they started the quarter by scoring eight unanswered points. Later, Lynbrook scored three points in the quarter from a jumper and a free-throw.

Paly’s Tseng had fifteen points in the game, while Schulte collected eighteen . The final score was Paly, 56 and Lynbrook, 26.

The girls’ next game is at 6:00 on Friday, Jan 9 at Milpitas.