Vikings beat rival Gunn in thriller

The Paly Vikings varsity football team stood strong against cross town rivals, the Gunn Titans, in a come from behind victory of 26-21, last Friday.

Several minutes after Paly received the opening kickoff, junior quarterback Nathan Ford threw an interception that was tipped away from the hands of the intended receiver, junior wide out Matt Wismann.

Gunn then had a scoring drive that endured for three plays and was capped of with a 3 yard run by running back Darius Johnson with just over eight minutes left in the first quarter, making the score 7-0 after an extra point.

However, it took little time for Paly to respond. Ford hit Wismann for a 74 yard score up the middle of the field. Ford’s extra point was blocked, making the score 7-6.

Gunn took the momentum back promptly with another successful scoring drive. The drive ended with a four yard pass by Doug Campell to a diving Hansen Perkins, making the score14-6.

The Titans continued to dominate throughout the second quarter, although the Vikings recovered a fumble and drove down to Gunn’s nine yard line. The drive was stalled and Paly turned the ball over on downs.

Gunn failed to take advantage of the turnover and was forced to punt.

Thereafter, the Vikings had their second scoring drive. Paly covered 63 yards in 9 plays and capped off the drive with a one yard sneak by Ford, making the score14-12. The Vikes decided to go for a two point conversion but failed as Ford threw an incompletion in pressure, and the score remained 14-12 at half time.

Gunn junior Collin Felch shared the quarterback position with Campell, and led theTitans to their third and final score, an 84 yard, 14 play drive that took nearly 6 minutes to complete. The drive ended with a 9 yard scramble to the left side of the field with 7:37 left in the game.

Paly’s third scoring drive, which lasted two and a half minutes and spanned a total of 74 yards in seven plays, ended as Ford hit senior wide receiver Adam Dexter with a clutch 37 yard touchdown pass late in the fourth quarter. Paly was then within striking distance, with the score at 21-19.

The Vikes got the ball back with 2:20 remaining. After four Ford completions covering 45 yards, senior running back Tydus Kiger rushed 11 yards to the right side of the field, putting the ball on Gunn’s one yard line. Ford ran the ball into the endzone to make
the score 26-21.

Paly senior defensive end James McCluskey had an incredible game, making several impressive tackles, eight of twhich resulted in losses and sacks.

"I wanted to win really badly, especially after the two losses; it was a great game, a really great game," McCluskey said regarding the playoff clinching victory.

Ford completed 19 passes of 32 attempts for 246 yards and two rushing touchdowns. Wismann caught 7 passes for 129 yards and one score. Dexter caught 7 passes for 111 yards and one score. Paly had only 68 yards rushing.

Head coach Earl Hansen said the game showed the grit and determination of the Vikings. "We just never quit, that’s why we won; I’m damn proud of this team, real proud," Hansen said.

"It’s an awesome feeling, to win a game like this," Ford said of the impressive victory. "To me its one of the greatest feelings in the world."

The win clinched a Central Coast Section playoff birth for the Vikings (7-2, 3-2). There will be portable lighting at the Vikes’ final game in the regular season, this Friday at home against Mountain View at 7:30. The game will be Paly first home night game in team history.