Pool fundraisers raise support from More-Moola, eBay

Imagine being able to not only clean out your attic, but also raise money for the Paly pool simultaneously.
While not a likely combination of events, Paly’s ACCEL foundation and Gunn Sports Boosters have created an event to help enthusiasts do just that. In an effort to raise funds for the both Paly’s and Gunn’s new aquatics centers, the two organizations plan to hold an "auction fundraiser" Friday, Nov. 7, in the Gunn parking lot.

A second More-Moola drop off date is arranged for Nov. 14 in the Paly parking lot before and after the evening’s football game.

Paly’s ACCEL Foundation and Gunn Sports Boosters are "joining forces" to raise money for the schools’ planned multi-million dollar aquatics centers, with help from the "More Moola for Schools" program, according to a flyer distributed to aquatics program participants.

A division of the iDEA management corporation, a company owned by Paly parent and ACCEL president David Atkinson, More-Moola collects donated items with an estimated value greater than $50, and offers them for sale on eBay. "You might say they [More-Moola donation fundraisers] are like giant garage sales, but higher-end garage sales," ACCEL board member and Paly parent Barb Champion said. Participating schools then receive the majority of the commission, while More-Moola claims 25% of the sales price of every item sold. "[More-Moola] allows people with one, two, or three items [to donate] to contribute to schools and not have to dig into their pockets," Atkinson said. "Everybody wins."

Delayed by budget issues last spring, the ACCEL board is just now setting new fundraising plans into action. The More-Moola event is one example of Paly/Gunn cooperation, a union that volunteers hope to continue. "The [ACCEL] board wanted to get the [Paly and Gunn] pools together with fundraising so we could work together," Champion said. "This [More-Moola] is not our only fundraising event, but it’s a start."

Items accepted at the donation station for sale range from antiques and sports collectables to cars and motorcycles to real estate and timeshares, according to More Moola’s Website, www.more-moola.com, yet those donated on Nov. 7 and Nov. 14 must weigh less than 150 pounds. Those who donate items will be able to write-off the sale prices of their donations as tax deductibles.