Saves The Day Stays calm in crazy world with In Reverie

Saves the Day is now offering their fourth and most reflective album to date, In Reverie, which has been out in stores since Sept. 16. All of the tracks on the album, including the main track, “In My Waking Life” and “Driving in the Dark” encompass the central themes of struggle, survival and recovery.

According to an article from Aug. 18 2002 by mtv.com reporter Jon Wiederhorn, lead singer Chris Conley thinks there is a different spin on the album because of 9/11. “Post 9/11, the world seemed to be pretty crazy,” Conley said. “There’s a constant battle every day to remain sane and stay afloat because it’s a confusing and dark time. It’s really all about trying to keep your head above the water when it seems impossible,” Conley said with respect to the present day.

The album both separates the band from the category of emotional music in which it has been wrongly placed, and shows how much the band has changed since their first album, Stay What You Are released in 2001. Through its carefully thought-out lyrics the first track on In Reverie entitled “Anywhere With You” shows, how non-emo they are.

The song starts with indifferent lyrics :
“I know I can’t come near you every time I do I get the shaking inside and the sun in my eyes, so I’ll stay away." It then goes into a apathetic and almost disrespectful chorus of, “I’d rather be here, than anywhere with you,” and continues into more verses of apathy and detachment from a former love.

“Anywhere With You” and all other songs on this album feature a verse that seems vaguely similar to the Smashing Pumpkins and a melodious chorus similar to Weezer’s.

Many of the album’s songs address coming to terms with the ugliness in the world. According to mtv.com “It’s about longing for something better for a feeling of peace or completeness,’ Conley said. ‘Psychologically, that’s been the struggle with me for a few years.”

As unhappy and sometimes down right depressing as some songs may seem, In Reverie is filled with optimism, hope and the idea that in the dimmest situation, individuals will make the most of the moment, as expressed in the song “Monkey.” The album is really about trying to have hope in the future even if it appears that there is nothing to look forward to.

Overall this album is a must get for Weezer or Saves the Day fans, and for those searching for hope after tragic relationships or terrible personal experiences or hardships.