Paly continues league winning streak

The Lady Viking water polo team improves its record in league to 4-0, after a win at Cupertino last Wednesday 8-3.

Junior Remy Champion, who scored six goals in the game, continues to lead Palo Alto’s attack, while Paly’s defense remains solid. Great saves from Paly’s senior goalies Jillian Rubinstein and Erica Magill stopped many of Cupertino’s threatening opportunities. Both teams were plagued by many penalties, which gave the game a slower pace.

Junior R. Champion began the game for Paly by winning the sprint. Half way through the 1st quarter, R. Champion sprinted past Cupertino’s back line and was fed the ball. She sprinted across the pool and scored, putting Paly on top, 1-0. R. Champion contributed another goal during the 1st quarter when she received the ball in the hole, turned quickly and made a spectacular back-handed shot. Towards the end of the quarter, Cupertino committed a 4-meter foul giving Paly a chance for another goal but sophomore Phoebe Champion fired the ball just wide of the goal.

Sophomore Phoebe Champion won the sprint to start off the second quarter for Paly. A minute after P. Champion won the sprint; R. Champion fired a shot into the top right corner of the Cupertino goal, scoring her third goal of the game. Paly was winning 3-0, but Cupertino was not just going to sit around and watch Paly score again and again.

Cupertino rallied with two goals. Cupertino senior and captain, Sarah Hovland scored a goal from the hole and a second goal on a quick break. Towards the end of the quarter, Paly freshman Tanya Wilcox scored the first of her two goals in the game, followed by another goal from junior, R. Champion.

In the third quarter Paly’s R. Champion won the sprint and scored her fifth and sixth goal of the game. Cupertino’s Hovland scored her third of the game. Paly held a comfortable lead, 7-3 thanks to senior goalie, Erica Magill who made many great saves in the third quarter.

The fourth quarter was filled with good scoring opportunities for both teams. Paly’s defense held Cupertino, not allowing them to score any goals. While Paly committed many fouls giving Cupertino restarts, Cupertino had many turnovers due to shot clock violations. Paly came away with their fourth win in league winning 8-3.

"Our defense was good, the goalies did well, and it was the little things that we need to work on," Paly coach Steven Covec said, "Our subs continue to do a good job filling the positions of the starters, it is making our team stronger."