Streaming Futures provides valuable career information for teens

Do you ever wish that you could interview professionals in a career field you’re interested in without having to go and find them? Streaming Futures, a Web site run by Nortel Networks Kidz Online, gives you just that opportunity.

Streaming Futures is a Web site that conducts video interviews of professionals from different modern career categories, featuring law, Hollywood, technology, multimedia, marketing, journalism, art, politics, and business. This allows a student to merely click on a link in order to watch the interview. Each category currently features three to eight interviews, but new interviews are added frequently.

Founded by Joel Holland, who is also producer and host of the show, Streaming Futures was created because Holland thought that, "Teens needed a way to learn about different careers based on real world advice, not from prepackaged information provided by schools or books."

Says Holland, "Building Streaming Futures to what it is today has been extremely exciting for me. When I set out to create a tool that would help teenagers grasp important information about careers, I had a mission to provide the ‘true’ story behind each profiled career."

A number of well-known and well-accomplished people have been interviewed on Steaming Features, including Arnold Schwarzenneger, Ken Starr, and Tia Carrera. The website also showcases more behind-the-scenes people such as Bill Schultz, former producer of the Simpsons, and Gary Credle, Executive VP of Studio Operations for Warner Brothers.

A typical interview consists of a description of the professional’s job and current project, a history of how he or she got into the field, and advice to teens about how they might want to get started in a similar career.

One very useful feature of the interviews is that they are conducted live, giving teenagers the chance to actually instant message questions to be used in the interview. This allows kids to find out any information that the interviewer may leave out.

Do not expect Streaming Futures to provide information about every job available; it does not. But to somebody considering one of these specific jobs, or to someone who is looking for jobs that might fit their interests, Streaming Futures might be your best shot.