Carnegie's How to Win Friends offers helpful resources

Dale Carnegie’s 1931 (revised 1990) self-help book, How to Win Friends and Influence People, is a timeless resource that assists readers to success in human relations. Human nature essentially remains the same, hence its popularity has not diminished after all these years.

Divided into four sections, this book offers advice on the topics of management, friendship, influence, and leadership. In each section, Carnegie uses real-life examples from modern American history to help illustrate his teachings.

To start off, the first principle reads “Don’t criticize, condemn, or complain.” Attached is a 15 page story summarizing various incidents that effectively teach the reader about the consequences of criticism and benefits of refraining from it.

Carnegie’s own success is shown in the amount of support he offers in his guide. Each chapter alone features about 10-15 real life examples from the author’s multitude of personal experiences, connections, and knowledge.

One such example is Abraham Lincoln’s political tactics. As a young man, Lincoln often dropped notes of ridicule on country roads where they would be picked up by his political opponents. One particularly sensitive politician took Lincoln’s words seriously and challenged him to a duel, which was fortunately stopped at the last minute.

At the end of each section is a helpful list of all principles discussed in that section for quick review.

Another positive aspect of the book is its conversational, easy-to-read manner. The author seems to talk with the reader through asking questions and answering them. “Wouldn’t you like to have a magic phrase that would stop arguments…?” The author self-responds: “All right. Here it is: ‘I don’t blame you… If I were you I would undoubtedly feel just as you do.’

Carnegie also frequently uses humor to hold reader attention. “Some readers are probably saying right now,” he writes, ‘Oh, phooey! Flattery! Bear oil! I’ve tried that stuff. It doesn’t work — not with intelligent people”

How to Win Friends and Influence People can serve as a wonderful primer for readers dedicated to getting more out of life and improving intrapersonal relationships. However, as the author warns, efforts must be put in for effectiveness. A “deep desire to learn”, and most of all, practice, are essential to success.