Girls’ softball falls to Los Altos on senior night

Ankita Amberkar

Junior Sydney Liu prepares to strike the ball in an exciting matchup against rival Gunn High School. The Vikings emerged as champions after losing Monday’s game against Fremont High School 4-3. “We just lost to Fremont yesterday so we are looking to seek revenge against them, keep our energy level high again and really having each others’ backs,” sophomore Zoe Silver said. Photo: Annika Behal.

Junior Sydney Liu prepares to strike the ball in an exciting matchup on Friday against rival Gunn High School. The Vikings emerged as champions after losing the previous game against Fremont High School 4-3. “We just lost to Fremont yesterday so we are looking to seek revenge against them, keep our energy level high again and really having each others’ backs,” sophomore Zoe Silver said. Photo: Annika Behal

The Palo Alto High School softball team (8-9-0) suffered a loss to the Los Altos High School Eagles (13-9-0) on senior night Friday at the softball diamond 5-7.

The first three innings were uneventful until Los Altos scored four runs in the bottom of the fourth inning.The Vikings responded with fourth- and fifth- inning RBIs from senior Emilee Guzman and sophomore Ella Jones, resulting in a score of 4-2. 

Later in the top of the fourth inning, senior Samantha McBride also hit in two RBIs to tie the score. 

Los Altos came back in the fifth inning with a run which junior Sydney Liu matched as she stole home following a wild pitch. 

Although the Vikings kept the game close, Los Altos managed to pull out two more runs in the bottom of the seventh inning, winning the game with a final score of 7-5.

While the Vikings did not receive the outcome they hoped for, they made a solid attempt with strong hitting. 

“We hit really well today starting from the beginning so I think that was a big strength,” Liu said. “But then we made a few defensive mistakes that cost us a bit but I think overall we played a really great game.”

Friday’s game was critical to qualify for the Central Coast Section playoffs; however, with wins in the remaining two games of the season, the Vikings might still have a shot.

“I think there’s still a chance to get CCS if we get second in league,” coach Brooke Binkley said. “We will do the same thing we’ve been doing all season, just repetition at this point.”

On another note, Friday was senior night and the team brought a lot of positive energy for this celebratory occasion.

Seniors on the team include Sophie Frick, Elizabeth Schnaubelt, McBride and Guzman.

“To me, senior night is a huge honor and it feels good to be recognized for at least one day,” Guzman said. “I think it’s a great way that my team showed their support for me and every other senior on the team, too.”

The Vikings will face Lynbrook High School (6-10-0) at 4 p.m. on May 8 at Lynbrook.