AFI progresses without losing their roots

A dark, brutal beat emerges from vibrating waves of quiet sound. Haunting bells ring as a chorus of voices screams: "Love your hate, your faith lost. You are now one of us." Silence strikes, and the beat returns, along with Davey Havok’s voice, alone and mysterious: "Nothing, from nowhere, I’m no one at all. Radiate. Recognize one silent call as we all form one dark flame. Incinerate. Love your hate, your faith lost. You are now one of us."

What better way to begin the newest album from legendary East Bay punk-hardcore mainstays AFI? A band whose progression has continued with every subsequent album, AFI have continued their evolution with Sing The Sorrow, released March 11 by Dreamworks Records Inc.

For over 10 years AFI has lived up to their name, an acronym which stands for "A Fire Inside," with their passionate, heartfelt music. With a sound combining haunting melodies, poetic lyrics and impeccable rhythm, and going from gentle to brutal in an instant, AFI is a band unlike any other. Their first single off the new album, "Girl’s Not Grey," shows some of the changes that their new album brings. The guitars are less distorted than on previous records, but no less powerful, and the overall band is a bit slower, if AFI could ever be called slow. AFI seems to find their rhythm. It feels like they are in less of a hurry with this album. Taking time off from touring may have given them more time to spend on Sing the Sorrow.

Despite adding a number of new sounds, AFI retains all of their characteristic features on this album. Davey Havok’s rough, high-pitched croon, the yelling chorus of background singing, and the cryptic lyrics all of have their place, especially on songs like the first full song on the record, "The Leaving Song Part II."

Track seven, "Death of Seasons," shows some of AFI’s experimentation, using synthesizers to give it a Nine Inch Nails style tinge. "The Leaving Song" is a nice break in a long line of high energy songs, giving the listener a chance to relax before the last official track, "…But Home Is Nowhere," which ends the album strongly. However, this is not the last song on the record. There is a 6 or 7 minute interlude after "… But Home is Nowhere" that features a creaky creepy piano line in the background and a child and then an old man speaking over it. This part really fits AFI’s slow movement towards a gothic sound. Finally, this interlude leads into the last song, which begins softly with acoustic guitars but grows powerfully. This song fits the rest of the album, sad and forlorn, Havok singing "There are no flowers, no not this time there will be no angels gracing the lines, just these stark words I find. I’d share a smile, but I’m too weak, I’d share with you could I only speak. Just how much this hurts me."

With a tour that is consistently selling out large venues, a spot on this summer’s Van’s Warped Tour, and a slot on Live 105’s BFD on June 13, AFI is doing big things. Their new album Sing the Sorrow shows AFI’s growth over the last couple of years. I recommend this CD to music lovers who need something new and different to listen to that retains good musicianship and melody.