"Confidence" solid, but lacks originality

"Confidence" is a new film that projects many of the same ideas that "Ocean’s Eleven" demonstrated. Primarily it is a heist film involving large sums of money and refreshing humor.

The term ‘confidence’ applies to the sureness of one’s own abilities, which often leads to offensive boastfulness. This is something that con man Jake Vig (Edward Burns) surely has. Jake serves as the narrator throughout the movie, acting as a source of advice on how to go about conning with confidence.

Jake has been at the center of a con in many different types of situations for years and is always assisted by his crew, which is comprised of the wise-cracking Gordo (Paul Giamatti), and the stripper -loving Miles (Brian Van Holt). Jake and his crew are thrown into a deal with The King (Dustin Hoffman) that involves conning a sum of $5 million from a second generation Mobster. After meeting the King, he adds Lupus (Franky G.), one of his own henchmen, to the group. Finally, the pick pocketing Lily (Rachel Weisz) comes aboard as the crew’s final person to their crew.
Many twists and problems then occur, including the arrival of special agent Gunther Butan (Garcia), who has been
chasing after Jake and his crew from city to city for many years. The crew takes into account the pressures and risks of its plan, but they must remain cool, trust one another and more than anything keep their confidence.

The film opens with Jake in the middle of being beaten up by an agent. Throughout the film there are flash forwards to this incident. This works at first, but gets old quick with
the agent (Morris Chestnut) holding the gun constantly asking, "What happened next?" The dialogue is full or humor and keeps the situations exciting. The twists in the script are strong and very well played out.

Director James Foley keeps his film moving at a fast pace. The scenes jump right into conversations, making it easy to become involved quickly.

Hoffman does an excellent job as The King. It is evident that Hoffman had a lot of fun with this character. The kings is humorous but also dark and violent. He smacks gum, gets foot massages, and constantly calls Jake "scooter" or "tiger".

Burns is the perfect Jake. He is handsome, cocky, smart, charming, and the most confident of all the other characters. Weisz, as Lily, keeps the crowd interested because of her little conning experience and her pick-pocket ventures.

Foley obtained an outstanding cast, integrated a crime film with humor and kept his crowd wondering and excited. The content of the film is nothing that audiences haven’t seen before, but it has energy and fresh characters that make it a fun movie. "Confidence" is a movie worth seeing.