A military perspective on war

If you’ve been following the local news, then you probably know that the new war movement, under the guise of Operation Iraqi Freedom, has already sparked a plethora of protests throughout the Bay Area, including several in Palo Alto. As a result of the chaos and fresh batch of hatred for war currently brewing, it is very easy to forget that there are actual humans sitting overseas in the sand, and not simply an army of Bush drones.

There are many people, myself included, who ask the question “Why go?” Of course, an infinite number of answers exist for this query; it simply depends on who you ask.

In the past few days, I have become so confused in trying to answer this question, as well as by everything going on in relation to preparations for war, and now in the beginning stages of war, that it became necessary to hear someone else’s theory.

Recently, I contacted two U.S. military officials, both of whom grew up in Palo Alto, one a Gunn grad and the other a Paly grad, to gain some perspective on the matter.

The first official, an executive officer in the U.S. Navy, expressed his opinion with the following comments:

“As military officers, we swear an oath to ‘support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic’ and that we ‘will bear true faith and allegiance to the same.’ Obeying the orders of the president falls under the umbrella of supporting the Constitution.

“That aside, I think that I can say with some surety that the last thing most of those folks sitting in the sand in Kuwait really want to do is go to war. They are, after all, human beings with families back home that they would rather be spending time with. From my perspective.

“I never relished being sent on deployment or ‘going into harm’s way’ but it is part of the job and what we have sworn to do. I am quite sure that most, if not all, of the soldiers, sailors and marines in the Persian Gulf region right now are a little scared and apprehensive about what will happen over the next few weeks. Because they are well trained, well equipped and professional, though, they can put that apprehension aside in order to accomplish their mission.

“This country enjoys the blessings of liberty because of the sacrifice and determination of men and women like the ones currently serving in the Middle East. Though we may not always agree with the voiced opinions of the media or peace activists, freedom of the press and freedom of speech are two of the rights guaranteed by our Constitution. Every one of us in the military has sworn to defend those rights with out lives.”

The second official, a Navy lieutenant, also expressed her confidence in our troops as well as in “the leadership of our country to do the right thing and to do it in the best way possible.”

As a student at Paly, I am exposed to many different opinions, many of them rather liberal, and have been brought up to believe that war is wrong and unjustifiable. I still believe it is, yet after my discussions with the previously mentioned military officers, I must say that I have much more respect for those who make a living defending the country.