Tax plan holds warrant

Despite the criticisms from teachers, schools, students, and parents regarding Governor Davis’ tax plan, an alternative solvency is unclear. I understand why so many in the educational community are angered at the cuts Davis is planning, but what exactly is the plan B?

It is important before entirely refusing an idea to analyze the situation we are in. Starting in the early 90’s California experienced an economic explosion in terms of countless new company startups. This in turn, led to a higher demand of office buildings and other supplies necessary for entrepreneurs, which ultimately carried the California economy to a new era of prosperity. Unfortunately, the dot-com bubble collapsed. Subsequently, we have vacant office buildings, office supplies lying around, and uninhabited houses. All of the above required money to build, money that has yet to be returned. This brings us to the status quo–mass deficit.

In this manner, there are two prominent options for our state to choose. Allow our macroeconomic crisis to continue, thus nurturing the deficit, or take action, bite the bullet, and suffer some cuts. The fact of the matter is, we can’t just sit on our hands and wait for someone else to solve our problems.

Moreover, we need to reflect on our lives and our school in the past years. Indeed, we have been spoiled in terms of technology, and other school programs. Many schools lack funding to buy computers, and other equipment we see as “fundamental.” Further, look at our elementary schools. How many do we have now? Twelve? How big is Palo Alto again? A mere 59,000.

Even if you don’t buy the above, it is still our responsibility to do our part in alleviating the debt. We can’t indulge ourselves in the benefits of the economy, and then when it goes sour refuse to take action.

With all this in mind, some of you may think I’m an inconsiderate jerk, which maybe true, but it doesn’t mean that I’m apathetic to those who will be losing their jobs–indeed, I recognize the hardship. However, regardless if we cut social programs or not, there will be lay offs. We either lay off a lot now, or lay off a lot later.

In closing, the Governor’s tax plan is not without merit. In fact, Legislative analyst Elizabeth Hill has called it "…credible and ambitious, but it’s going to take very dramatic actions.”