TapOut Tuesday event to be held on Quad

Members of Zero Waste Initiative Club Zander Leong, Olivia d'Arezzo, Aileen Wu and Club President Leila Tjiang (from left to right) prepare for tomorrow's Tap Out Tuesday event. Their booth will allow students to make holiday decorations out of old recyclables which they are welcome to take with them. "You can take it home to enjoy for the holidays, or offer it to a friend as a present," Tjiang said. Photo: Micaela Wong
Members of Zero Waste Initiative Club Zander Leong, Olivia d’Arezzo, Aileen Wu and Club President Leila Tjiang (from left to right) prepare for today’s Tap Out Tuesday event. Their booth will allow students to make holiday decorations out of old recyclables which they are welcome to take with them. “You can take it home to enjoy for the holidays, or offer it to a friend as a present,” Tjiang said. Photo: Micaela Wong

Four student-run campus environmental clubs will host the first ever TapOut Tuesday on the Palo Alto High School Quad on Tuesday today during lunch. 

The clubs organizing the event, which include TapOut, Zero Waste Initiative, Outdoor Action and Appreciation and Climate Vision, will host multiple booths to promote environmental awareness, according to TapOut club member, senior Andrea Chandler.

“TapOut Tuesday is to promote environmental awareness … and also to get excited about bringing reusable water bottles,” Chandler said.

Each booth will be dedicated to different activities all with the same focus of the preserving the environment. Students will have the opportunity to participate in activities such as Paris Accord Limbo, environmental quizzes and holiday ornament decoration using recyclables. Free stickers will be given to those with reusable water bottles, and a raffle will also be held with winners receiving prizes including reusable bags, reusable water bottles and frisbees, according to senior Leila Tjiang, President of Zero Waste Initiative.

Tjiang said her club, which is in charge of the holiday ornament decorations at the event, will use materials such as foil, Styrofoam peanuts and old newspapers to show students the viability of upcycling, or creatively reusing unwanted products.

“Upcycling is really easy,” Tjiang said. “You can make really cool crafts and decorations and things that are just aesthetically pleasing with old materials that you wouldn’t really ever expect to be used.”

Tjiang also said she hopes that the event will promote environmental clubs on campus and encourage students to learn how to better protect the earth.

“We just want people to take away that there are a lot of clubs on campus that are working towards making the campus a more sustainable environment to work in and be a student in … and [for students to] educate yourself [themselves] more about environmental issues,” Tjiang said. 

Screenshot 2017-12-04 at 10.50.43 PM - Edited (2)

Flyer designed by: Leila Tjiang