Season preview: Boys’ soccer looks for redemption

Junior outside midfielder Jason Shorin dribbles up the sideline. Shorin is a second-year Varisty player on the boys' soccer team. Photo: Emma van der Veen.
Junior outside midfielder Jason Shorin dribbles up the sideline in January 2017. Shorin is a second-year player on the Palo Alto High School varsity boys’ soccer team. Photo by Emma van der Veen.

The Palo Alto High School’s varsity boys’ soccer team is looking for one thing – redemption – last season, the team made its way to the first round of the Central Coast Section playoffs, but lost to Menlo Atherton in the penalty kick shootout, 3-5.

Today, they will have the chance to redeem themselves in a pre-season game as they face off against Menlo Atherton at 3:30 p.m. at the Viking lacrosse field.

“We have made it every year [to CCS] but have lost in the first round each of the last few years,” senior captain Matt Knowles said. “It’s extremely frustrating to have a great season and then lose the last game of the season.”

In addition, the boys’ soccer team lost a number of seniors coming into this season. As a result, many current seniors are taking on new roles of leadership.

“Many of our graduated seniors from last year were big leaders on the field and off, so the returning varsity have shoes to fill in that sense,” Senior Kiran Misner said.

While the loss of seniors is a huge obstacle for the team, Misner is optimistic for the season as there is a lot of incoming talent.

“We’re still figuring out the roster and the lineup, but the group is made of a lot of hard-working players so we know we will be able to make all our games competitive,” Misner said.

Some players to look out for this season include freshman Chris Chen, junior Kenzo Morabia, and seniors Valter Levander, Xander Scherer and Matt Knowles, according to Misner.

Overall, the team is eager to jump into the season and hopefully advance to CCS.

“I’m looking forward to getting out there and playing to the best of our abilities,” Misner said.