Football squares off against Saratoga in homecoming game

Sophomore wide receiver Jamir Shepard moves up the field against Aragon High School. Photo: Noah Yuen

The Palo Alto High School football team (1-6, 1-2) looks to rebound from last week’s blowout loss against Milpitas High School (8-0, 4-0) as it hosts Saratoga High School (0-7, 0-3) tonight for the annual homecoming game.

The Vikings gained confidence with a 28-14 victory at Homestead High School (3-4, 2-1) on Sept. 22, limiting the Mustangs to 121 rushing yards and 215 total yards. However, the Vikings went scoreless against Milpitas last week, losing 49-0.

This week, Paly faces the Saratoga Falcons, who sit at the bottom of the De Anza League, with no wins on the season.

According to senior tight end Bryant Jefferson, the team needs to play cohesively in order to secure the win.

“We just need to play as a unit and play with confidence, and communicate,” Jefferson said.

The winless Falcons are coming off a loss to the Wilcox Chargers, 61-10. The Falcons will be led by senior quarterback Nikolas Rositano on the offensive side, who leads the team with 16 passing touchdowns on the season.

Despite ceremonial homecoming activities, the Vikings have been preparing just like any other game, but are even more motivated to win.

“We definitely feel that there is an extra level to this game cause it’s homecoming and we really want to win for our school and fans,” Jefferson said.

As part of Paly tradition, the winning class’ spirit dance will perform at halftime and all homecoming Spirit Week floats will be displayed.

Seniors are instructed to wear camo, and all other grades should wear Paly gear, according to Paly sixth man.

Isabella Marcus, Author