ASB hosts successful volleyball tournament

Daniel Li and Zahra Muzaffar

block_1

The fourth annual volleyball tournament held last week ended on a high note. The infographic above outlines the advancing teams, taking into consideration disqualifications due to rule violations. Graphic by: Zahra Muzaffar.

The Palo Alto High School Associated Student Body’s fourth annual volleyball tournament was a success, with 13 teams participating.

Vball

The final match took place Friday April 28 between Bartolo’s Colon and Palo Alto Diversity. Spectators watched the game on the quad during lunch. Photo: Kim Diorio.

The tournament has become a Paly tradition, and is something Paly students look forward to all year, as they compete in teams of up to eight people for prizes and unfettered bragging rights. This year’s prize consisted of gift cards to Chipotle, according to Junior Class Vice President Marissa Ludwig.

“The volleyball tournament went really well, even though there were some rule violations,” Ludwig said. “It was a great way for all the different grades to come together and it made the quad more lively.”

Due to the aforementioned rule violations some teams were disqualified because they included too many varsity players, or did not include players across grade levels, according to Ludwig.

Bartolo’s Colon, a team consisting of seniors Sean Romeo, Andrew Vargha, Michael Champagne, Timothy Liu and Chirag Akella, junior Jeremy Akioka and sophomore Hyunwoo Roo took first place.

edited block

The top three teams of the tournament were Bartolo’s Colon, Palo Alto Diversity, and The Eiffel Towers. Each member of the winning teams received a gift card to Chipotle of 20, 15, and 10 dollars respectively, according to Ludwig. Graphic by: Zahra Muzaffar.

“We’re just a group of guys that are passionate for a little competition,” Romeo said. “When ASB announced the tournament, we thought we were up for the challenge.”

While they were not expecting to win, the team was happy to have taken part in the tournament, according to Romeo.

“There was some deadly competition out there and we were up against teams with varsity players,” Romeo said. “We never stopped having faith in each other and it all paid off in the end.”