Students attend Palo Alto Youth Job Fair

Eric Bo-Han Yap

Paly held its Annual Youth Job and Career Fair near the student center during the lunch of March 17. Instead of going to Town and Country, many students attended stating that they were interested in looking for a job in the near future especially during the summer time.

As students all gathered around the Quad, a speech about the objective of this event was given. Numerous students also cited that they were looking for internship opportunities and familiarize themselves with a real world work environment.

“I am planning on earning some money over the summer by looking for job opportunities through going here,” says sophomore Bryant Chen.

The Annual Youth Job and Career Fair is an event that provides the opportunities for students to learn more about real world work experiences and learn important information on how to succeed in interviews. One of the main goals of this event is to help Paly students become employed over the summer and gain the necessary insight and experiences to become independent young adults.

More than 60 employers have reserved booths at the job fair this year throughout the six high schools and there are also many other agencies such as apprenticeship and continuing education programs whom will also attend to distribute information regarding the application process and to foster interest for teenagers and young adults looking for jobs.

Several internship opportunities have also been offered including one at Lockheed Martin for those interested in technology. These internships focus on placing students in a mature and adult work spaces where they can learn about both their interests and how companies function.

Juniors and seniors who have participated in several job workshops have also been invited from each school to provide insight and personal work experiences. The students have had training in creating a resume, writing high quality cover letters, interviewing skills, and among other important skills to land the job they are interested in.

Attendees of the 2017 Annual Youth Job and Career Fair gave this event many positive comments including how there is a lot of professional people who gave great advice and suggestions for students not to mention the various job openings and internships that were offered.

“I’m glad I was able to look for jobs that I could potentially be working at during the summer.” says an excited Adam Love.