Preview: Girls’ basketball aims to continue undefeated league play against Gunn

Isabella Marcus and Kasra Orumchian

Senior forward Skylar Burris attacks the hoop against the Saratoga Falcons. "", Burris said, as the Vikings went on to win the game, 81-46. Photo By: Isabella Marcus
Senior forward Skylar Burris attacks the hoop against the Saratoga Falcons. “The key is teamwork and communication, which is something we’ve been working on all season”, Burris said, as the Vikings went on to win the game, 81-46.
Photo By: Isabella Marcus

Following head coach Scott Peters’ 200th win, the Palo Alto High School girls’ basketball team (7-2, 1-0) aims to capture victory 201 by defeating crosstown rival Gunn High School (7-5, 1-0) on Friday at 6 p.m. at the Gunn gym.

“Playing Gunn definitely adds to the pressure of tomorrows game,” senior guard Lauren Koyama said. “We want to lead our school to victory against our rival. We have spent time preparing our game plan and are really pumped for Quad Night.”

The Vikings have been preparing for Friday, according to senior forward Skylar Burris.

“The key is teamwork and communication, which is something we’ve been working on all season,” Burris said. “We’re a very close team and being able to lean on each other during a big game is going to be important. We’ve been focusing on our defensive principles, and we want to make it as hard as possible for Gunn to score.”

The Vikings hope to carry its momentum forward from this weeks’ first league win as it toppled Saratoga Falcons (9-4, 0-1)  in its league opener 81-46, with junior guard Carly Leong leading the Vikings with 23 points.

“We shot really well and hopefully we have a good shooting tomorrow night against Gunn,” Leong said.

The Titans are also coming off a win in its league opener, as Gunn defeated the Wilcox Chargers (7-6, 0-1) 65-51.