Sculpture program to hold second glass sale of the year

Palo Alto High School’s glass blowing program is hosting a holiday glass sale on Friday, Dec. 2, and Saturday, Dec. 3, in the Tower Building.

The sale will be open tomorrow from 3 to 6 p.m., and will continue on Saturday from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.

According to glass blowing instructor Steve Ferrera, this is the program’s second and, traditionally, the biggest sale of the year.

“We have a whole bunch of glass for sale,” Ferrera said. “Holiday items, cups, vases, goblets, elephants, cats, hearts, seashells, snails. It’s a huge assortment of glass items [at] all different prices.”

15310588_361267514218387_1663107699_n
Trees and Christmas ornaments are among the items that will be sold on Friday and Saturday. Photo by Maya Reuven.

Work from a variety of artists will be available for purchase, the majority of which are created by glass blowing teachers.

The work is not student work, but students can sell their own work, and they can keep all the money from that,” Ferrera said. “Most of it [the glass] is blown by the instructors, Peter and Dana, our TAs, myself, and a few other professional glass blowers.”

While student artists get to keep their profits, the rest of the proceeds will go towards funding Paly’s sculpture program.

“Our program is mostly self-funded, so we really rely on these sales to keep the program going,” Ferrera said.

The sculpture program is beloved by many students, including Paly junior and advanced ceramics and sculpture student Julia Doubson, making the funding a critical issue.

“Paly’s sculpture program enables students to create many forms of art,” Doubson said. “Having the opportunity to blow glass at school is a very unique experience that we’re lucky to have.”

If the artwork itself is not incentive enough to stop in, complementary snacks and beverages will also be provided.

“We have cookies and hot apple cider,” Ferrera said.