Preview: Spirit Week excitement to continue with ‘Salad Dressing’ day

Palo Alto High School students cheer during a rally at lunch today on the football field. According to junior class president Jaiveer Sandhu, the rally was a success and an omen of victory for the junior class. "My personal highlight today was during pass that water when the Juniors came in first. That was big and I think it's a sign of more first place wins to come throughout the week." Photo: Rachel Code
Palo Alto High School students cheer during a rally at lunch today on the football field. According to Junior Class President Jaiveer Sandhu, the rally was a success and an omen of victory for the junior class. “My personal highlight today was during ‘Pass that Water’ when the juniors came in first,” Sandhu said. “That was big and I think it’s a sign of more first place wins to come throughout the week.” Photo: Rachel Code

Can the junior class beat the tropical heat? Will the Roman armies of the senior class reign victorious? Tomorrow, Palo Alto High School students will don all their salad dressing garb and compete in a tug-of-war tournament during the second day of Spirit Week.

Each grade’s theme corresponds to a different type of salad dressing. The freshman theme will be “Healthy Choice,” the sophomore theme will be “Ranch,” the junior theme will be “Thousand Island” and the senior theme will be “Caesar.”

In addition to dressing up, the classes will compete in a tug-of-war tournament. Each grade’s team will be made up of 10 girls and 10 boys, and the first class to pull a flag tied to the rope past a line in the middle will win.

The participating grades for the first two rounds will be drawn out of a hat, and the third round will be a match between the two losing classes. The stakes are high, as the winning class will receive 1,500 points, second place will receive 1,200 points, third place will receive 1,000 points and fourth place will receive 800 points.

Junior class president Jaiveer Sandhu said that he is very excited for the event.

“It [Tug-of-war] is one of my favorite events because it’s really visual to the crowd,” Sandhu said. “It’s really in-your-face to the other classes too.”

According to Sandhu, Paly football players may be unable to participate in the event because of a scheduling conflict.

“The football players have film on Monday and Tuesday, so me and Noa [senior class president] went to talk with the football coach today,” Sandhu said. “He [Coach Danny Sullivan] said he would talk to other football coaches [about rescheduling film]. … So there’s a chance that we may not have the football players.”

Make sure to tag all of your Spirit Week social media posts with #palyspirit for a chance to be featured on The Paly Voice website.