Teen Arts Council to host third Poetry Jam

14650505_10154615008424806_4589139196814844696_n
Senior Co-founder of Point B, Teddie Stewart passionately performs a poem at the first Point B poetry Jam. Photo by Claire Eberhart.

The Teen Arts Council will host its third Poetry Jam from 7:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. Friday, Oct. 14 at the Mitchell Park Community Center.

Palo Alto High School seniors Teddie Stewart and Claire Eberhart are organizing the event, which is described by its Facebook page as being a “nonjudgmental environment” where anyone from a “verse novice to a poetry expert” is welcome to perform poetry. The event will feature “amazing poetry, good vibes, and yummy food” and is free to the public, according to Stewart. 

In the past the event has been held at the Palo Alto Children’s Theatre but due to construction the event will take place at the Mitchell Park Community Center.

The Facebook page explains that the event’s title, “Point B” comes from the idea that “you are Point A and we are Point b. We will always be here for you as an open place for emotional and artistic expression.”

According to the Facebook page, the event is an open place for emotional and artistic expression.

According to Stewart, the Poetry Jam started three years ago, when Stewart and Eberhart were sophomores.

“We started it because there was no place for teenagers to share their poetry that wasn’t monitored or run by adults,” Stewart said. “We also wanted to emphasize that it’s a poetry jam, not a poetry competition.”

Stewart encourages all students to come watch the performances, and is confident there will be something for everyone to enjoy at the event.

“I have seen people open up and also really value and listen to other poetry,” Stewart said. “I have seen people become so inspired through this art form that they didn’t really know was a thing before they came and watched other perform. It was one of the best moments of my life when Claire and I hosted the first Point B because I saw inspiration spark in people, and there is nothing better than that.”

Those interested in performing a poem should contact Eberhart or Stewart at [email protected] or message them on Facebook. Eberhart and Stewart ask that the poems “not offend anyone or exceed an extremely long period of time.”

According to Stewart, poems will also be provided at the event for anyone who wants to read them.

Students must be aged 13-18 to attend, and can RSVP here.