PALY Robotics Team to offer summer camp for middle schoolers

The Palo Alto High School Robotics team will be holding their second annual Paly Robotics Summer Camp this summer from July 18 to August 5 at Paly.

The camp is offering three sessions, with each session split into two sections that focus on different aspects of robotics. Each session will be held on weekdays from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Paly Robotics Lab in Room 903.

The first session is from July 18 to July 22 and will allow students to choose between “Programming and 3D Animation” or “Robot Design and Hardware.” The second section is from July 25 to July 29 and will offer “Robot Design and Hardware” or “Entrepreneurship and Website Design.” The third session is from August 1 to August 5 and will be split into “Programming and 3D Animation” and “Entrepreneurship and Website Design,” according to the Paly Robotics website

A camper at the 2015 Robotics Summer Camp working on his remote control car for the "build and design" section. Photo: PALY Robotics
A camper at the 2015 Robotics Summer Camp works on his remote control car for the “build and design” section of the camp. Photo: PALY Robotics

According to the creator and co-leader of the camp, sophomore Simran Pujji, the robotics team hopes the camp inspires young kids to pursue robotics.

“The whole team is really excited to prepare for this summer camp because we had a great time running it last year,” Simran said. “Our mission is to inspire kids to pursue robotics in middle school and in high school.”

According to co-lead of the camp, sophomore Devin Ardeshna, the camp was a trial run last year.

“Paly Robotics Summer Camp 2015 was a weeklong camp to expose students to STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Math),” Ardeshna said. “The camp was a huge success and proved that offering a summer camp was a great opportunity for Paly Robotics. This year, we are hoping that we will be able to introduce more kids to more aspects of STEAM on the paly robotics team. There are different sessions offered that cover subjects including robot design, robot hardware, Python programming, 3D animation with Autodesk Maya, website design, and business plan writing. The camp will also allow students to explore more about high school, FRC, and other opportunities for them outside of the camp.”  

While most of the sessions are already filled, the waitlist is still open for “Entrepreneurship and Website Design” during the second and third sessions. Students interested in being added to the wait list must be rising 6th to 9th graders, and can register for the camp here. While there is no fee for attending the camp, participants are recommended to donate $350 per week. For more information, students can contact the summer camp staff here through email.